Senate meeting focuses on judicial review

On Nov.10 at a little after 7:30 p.m. the North Carolina A&T Student Senate held a meeting in the new science building.

The meeting was a formal judicial review and approval of legislation.  Student Government Association’s (SGA) Vice President of Internal Affairs, Raymond Beamon served as the facilitator. Parties invited included the Sankofa administration, Student Government Association advisors and the student body.  

The meeting began with a call to order, proceeded with a roll call of senate member and a reading of the minutes from the previous meeting, followed by receipt of petitions, memorials, messages and papers.

Then there were the reports of standing committees and the handling of unfinished business.  

Next they approached new business which began with senatorial appointments where new members took the oath of office.  Three students were called to the front to recite the oath amidst some laughter and chatting.

Then there was the approval of legislation.  During this process two bills were amended and passed.  

The first bill was to increase the minimum cumulative grade point average necessary to become and remain apart of the student government association.  While the minimum grade point average was a 2.5, it was raised to a 2.8.  

The second bill was to extend the terms of office for a senator.  In the past no senator could serve more than two one-year terms, but after this meeting a student senator may serve a second and third one-year term.  The rules and regulations committee authored this bill and said that this change was made because they model themselves from the US senate who can serve an unlimited amount of six-year terms.  

Then came the judicial review.  During this part of the meeting each class of officers stood in front of the room and shared the programs and meetings they’d had as well as what they had planned for the remainder of the fall semester and the spring semester.  

The freshman class was not present for the meeting so the sophomore class was up first.  Matthew Hester, sophomore class president, spoke on behalf of his executive board.  He told about events they’d held, such as an open mic night and help with breast cancer awareness month.

“We’ve realized that the things we do on campus should be more awareness related,” said Hester.  This is why, going forward, Hester insisted that his entire e-board will be highly visible around campus for the hunger awareness program they’re implementing.

Next up was the junior class officers.  Junior class president Chukwuemeka Anazia spoke on behalf of his e-board.  Some of the events held by the junior class included full-body meetings, a movie week in October, a sex awareness program and a “remembering the fallen Aggies” program.  

However, senate members as well as members of the Sanfoka administration had questions about other programs.  Big concern was raised about the Illuminati program held Nov. 3.

Anazia said the program was created because students came to him wanting more information.  He also said he handled the organization of the program and had a great turnout.  

Soon concern about the content of this controversial program took over the meeting.  Questions were asked of Anazia about how he portrayed the divine nine Greek organizations and masons.  He addressed concerns by saying that he’d called no organization out in particular.  He also said that he’d held a meeting with a group of masons and cleared things up.

Still Anazia was told a program about the assumed secret society was not in accordance with the student government association.  Wayne Kimball, SGA President also told Anazia that even though the junior class held an excess of programs, things weren’t handled correctly.  Kimball said monthly required updates weren’t given to him and he reminded the audience of proper protocol and hierarchy.  

After a call to order by Beamon, Anazia was called out about his leaving after the fall 2010 semester.  He insisted he had been granted a great opportunity at the last career fair and confirmed he would be taking it.  “Ashley Scotland will be taking my place and she as well as my e-board is well capable,” he said.

Senior class president Jamia Harrison and her e-board were next to take the floor.  Harrison said their focus was on creating community service opportunities for seniors graduating in December.  

They addressed concerns about the senior class not being aware of events.  

Senior class Vice President, Josh Smith said he will be sure to make fliers brighter and post them in more locations.  They also plan to make a Facebook page in addition to their already functioning Twitter page for publicity.  

Another concern raised was the lack of events held by the senior class during the beginning of the fall semester.  Harrison said the lack of events was as a result of them not having a full-functioning executive board.  “It was like pulling teeth to get seniors on the e-board,” she said.  

After the judicial review class officers left and senate members finished the meeting.  They discussed their upcoming constitutional convention as well as a proposed bill to make A&T a smoke-free campus.  

A&T is one of two HBCUs that don’t have a smoke-free campus, the other one being North Carolina Central University.  

Beamon said that their meetings are always productive and that he wishes more students would come out and ask questions and or express their concerns.  “It’s a struggle to get students to come,” he said.

• Sequia Cole