Students critique UNST

Students at North Carolina A&T joined the SGA President in Stallings Ballroom for the first University Studies Forum.  The forum consisted of Professors all assembled to evaluate the UNST courses.

Administrators and faculty of the university were politely asked to leave the room to ensure that students give their honest opinion when answering questions concerning all aspects of the UNST program. Dr. Herman Blake, member of the evaluation team, urged that students express themselves in a truthful manner.

The University Studies Program was implemented in 2006 and is the general education curriculum of A&T and provides the intellectual foundation for the University’s degree-granting programs. Students, especially seniors at the forum expressed how the UNST program puts them in a guinea-pig situation and how students are in trial and error process.

The first question of forum, presented by the host Joseph Escobar, asked students if the UNST program helped their overall growth as a student. Majority of students told members of the panel that even though the program has its pros and cons, the courses are not as beneficial as they would like.

Other students who disagreed with this position stressed that some of the courses such as Critical Writing can indeed be beneficial to them and has help them grow as students.

“I feel as though UNST courses do benefit students however, at the same time the course in the program can put you behind” said sophomore class president and political science major Christian Robinson.

During the discussion of the UNST courses and cluster classes, students made it clear that the most beneficial courses to take in the program are Critical Writing, Contemporary World, University Experience and African American Experience. It was said by students that the reason they favored these courses so much is because these classes inform students about vital information that they can actually apply in their careers.

Others made additional points about the UNST courses and cluster classes. Students objected to how it is more difficult to learn in these types of classes because of the large amount of students in one class. Also, majority of the students present at the forum told the panel they felt that the UNST courses are not as important to them compared to their major courses.

A member of the evaluation team, Heather Watherton, asked students if they had any knowledge of the University Studies Program before they arrived to A&T. All of the students present claimed that they were not informed that they had to take UNST courses to graduate and some even went further to discuss how they didn’t quite understand why some of the courses are required.

Towards the ending of the forum, Escobar posed yet another question to students asking them what they would suggest be put in the place of the UNST program. Students who quickly jumped to answer the question responded saying that instead of the UNST program, cluster course could be implemented for every department.

It was even suggested that after the freshman year students should focus solely on their major since cluster classes make it harder for students to double major.

“The purpose of the evaluation team is to hold a mirror to the university so A&T can see what is happening” said Dr. Blake. Members of the evaluation team ensured students that all of their response have great value and will be taken seriously when the evaluation report of the UNST program is actually submitted.

• LaTisha Freeman