Bernie Sanders Rallies in Greensboro

“Are you feeling the Bern?” asked Symone Sanders, Press Secretary for Bernie Sanders’ 2016 Presidential campaign to a crowd of over 9,000 men, women, and children. 

Bernie Sanders, 74, 2016 democratic presidential candidate, visited Greensboro for a campaign rally on Sunday, Sept. 13 at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. The crowd, young and old, gathered to hear Sanders speak about issues such as the wealth gap, wage inequality, the economy, immigration reform, and racial discrimination.

People from all different backgrounds adorned with ‘Bernie for President’ stickers waited in long, wrapping lines to get inside the Coliseum to hear the presidential hopeful speak about his plans for America.

“We all support Bernie,” said Rachel Garauito of Greensboro who came to the rally with friend Patrick Godfrey and her two small children Sarah and Austin. “I’m showing my kids what it’s like to be involved in a movement and see a presidential candidate.”

Amidst the crowd, high school teacher, Rachel Noel, said she admires Sander’s commitment to improving education and supporting teachers. Not only does she agree with his policies, she believes in who he is as a person and politician.

“He is a representative of us,” she said. “He’s truthful, straight-forward, and has said the same thing for years.”

Born in Brooklyn, NY., Sanders political career dates back to the 1960s when he was in his 20s. He served as an officer for the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE), and as an organizer for the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC). Sanders has served as the mayor, congressman and, now, senator for the state of Vermont.

No stranger to politics, Sanders hopes to start a ‘political revolution.’

“This great country and our government belongs to all of us, not just a handful of very wealthy people,” said Sanders who believes politics should be about the people, and raises majority of his campaign money through small donations. “This campaign does not and will not have a SuperPAC.”

His approach seems to be working. CBS News polls show Sanders gaining momentum and voter support over democratic presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton. In key Democratic Caucus states like Iowa, 43 percent of Democratic voters are likely to vote for Sanders compared to Clinton’s 33 percent. Likewise, in New Hampshire Sanders holds 52 percent of likely democratic voters compared to Clinton’s 30 percent.

At the forefront of his campaign plan, Sanders addressed the wealth gap, unemployment, and wage inequality.

“The top one-tenth of one percent own as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent,” Sanders said disgusted with the ‘grotesque’ amount of greed in this country which strains middle-class families and unfairly affects worker’s pay.

He referenced the national minimum wage as ‘starvation wages’ and plans to raise minimum wage to $15 an hour if he is elected.

Wages and income inequality are also tied to jobs and unemployment in this country. Sanders noted that although unemployment is lower than it was when President George W. Bush left office, ‘real’ unemployment levels are still high, especially for young adults ages 17-20 and minorities.

“They want to be independent, but we are not allowing them to do it,” said Sanders citing a need for a reform of America’s education system. He also plans to lower the costs of college education, make more money for Pell Grants available to students, and reduce interest rates on student loans.

“It breaks my heart that we have bright, young people that can’t go to college because of money,” said Sanders who has introduced legislation that would make 4-year public colleges and universities free for students, with costs being split between the states and the national government.

“It’s not a radical idea. It exists in many other countries,” Sanders said.

In his speech, Sanders also discussed the Affordable Care Act and expanding healthcare for women and those with disabilities. If elected, he promised to fight for at least 12 weeks of paid family medical leave. He also plans to invest in jobs and infrastructure to improve our economy, with a focus on creating more clean and renewable energy to combat climate change. Sanders spoke on continuing to expand immigration reform, LGBTQ rights, and laws that will make it easier for people to vote at the rally, as well.

With regards to racial discrimination, Sanders said that although we have seen real progress, there is still a lot more to be done, such as ending all forms of institutional racism, especially within the criminal justice system. He also listed the names of several black people killed by institutional racism and police brutality, including Michael Brown, Sandra Bland, and Rekia Boyd.

“The officer must be held accountable,” said Sanders. “Officers need to be a part of the community…and look like the communities they are policing.”

Alyssa Williams, a sophomore Mechanical Engineering student at N.C. A&T, attended the rally with friends to hear Sanders address key issues facing America.

“Despite being at the forefront of politics all of his life, he stands by his decisions to stand alone from corporations in his campaign for president,” said Williams. “This makes him the only candidate to work directly for the people, by the people.”

Sanders concluded his speech by saying, “When we stand together, there is nothing we cannot accomplish.”

Kristin Shipley – Contributor