Aggie-Eagle Classic 2011

Dating all the way back to 1924, the N. C. A&T Aggies and

the North Carolina Central Eagles will meet at the line of

scrimmage to renew an 87-year-old rivalry.

Dating all the way back to 1924, the N. C. A&T Aggies and the North Carolina Central Eagles will meet at the line of scrimmage to renew an 87-year-old rivalry.

The historical football game between A&T and the N. C. Central is perhaps one of the most anticipated, emotional, and oldest rivalry games in black college football.

“To me it’s like a second homecoming of sorts,” said Bonnie Newman Davis endowed A&T professor and alumna.

The two teams played each other every year since 1924 except for six times. The last time they didn’t meet was in 2006.

“It’s one of the best college rivalries in the nation to me because the schools are so close in proximity,” Joe Simmons said.

Simmons played for N. C. Central from 1991-1994. “When I was playing, the game is big because for the next 365 days one of the teams had the right to say who was better.”

Since the start of the rivalry, there has been occasional fighting between the two teams during and after the games.

From 1994-2005 the two teams have met at a neutral site in Raleigh for the official “Aggie-Eagle Classic.” However, now the game is technically no longer named the Aggie-Eagle Classic but is now just a regular season conference game, but the title since then has lived on.

It was not until 2007 the schools met on someone’s home territory, which ended in a nationally recognized brawl at Aggie Stadium after players from NCCU provoked fighting by stomping on the Aggie logo on the football field. The game ended after a last minute interception in which both teams refused to shake hands.

“I started in the Aggie-Eagle Classic four times and each year was a little more physical & bloodier,” said Enoch Cohen, former A&T right tackle.

“The 2007 Aggie-Eagle was by far the craziest not only cause I was a freshman starting in the Aggie-Eagle Classic but because it was my birthday,” Cohen said.

But the Aggies aren’t concerned about the fights. They just want a win.

“I’m tired of getting my butt kicked,” said A&T head coach Rod Broadway.

In the last 10 match ups, A&T and NCCU are tied at five games apiece.

This season, the Aggies (4-6, 3-4, No. 8 in the MEAC) are seeking revenge for last year’s lost to the Eagles (2-8, 1-6, No. 9 in the MEAC) to determine who will have bragging rights.

“This is a big game for everybody, not just us,” said senior cornerback Justin Ferrell. Ferrell is tied for first in the conference for interceptions for the year.

Broadway and the Aggies are going into the last game of the season after losing four consecutive conference games, the last one to S.C. State 30-22.

Broadway is already familiar with the rivalry and the Aggie-Eagle Classic having coached at NCCU from 2003-2006. Broadway won two CIAA and two Black College National Championships with the Eagles and finished his coaching career at NCCU with a 33-11 record.

Despite the team’s four game skid, running back Mike Mayhew leads the conference in rushing (957 on 199 carries) while wide receiver Wallace Miles leads the conference in receiving yards (925 on 62 catches).

Mayhew is close to once again compiling 1,000 yards in a season for his second time. Meanwhile, Miles is just 75 yards shy of being the only player in Aggie history to become a 1,000-yard receiver, but as it has previously been shown, the Eagles will do whatever it takes to stop the Aggies.

“They always find a way to play us, no matter how bad they have been on paper,” said Miles. “We have business to take care of. Our seniors are ready to give all they have for the last time as Aggies.”

The last time the Aggies defeated the Eagles was in 2009 at Aggie Stadium where A&T came out on top in overtime 23-17.

“As long as N. C. A&T football beats NCCU, I’ll call it a successful season, no matter the record,” said A&T junior Moyo Olusesi.

Kickoff will be Saturday at 1:30 p.m.

Sylvia Obell contributed to this report.

[email protected], [email protected] and follow them on Twitter @KayRob_ @YngBlkandFancy

• Karmen Robinson, Sports Editor