Help kids get back into the swing of school with simple room updates

(ARA) – Back-to-school season – many kids and some parents face it with dread. Kids rue giving up their summer freedom and going back to the hard work of learning. Parents fear the challenge of getting kids to refocus from pure fun to study modes, especially when they may be recovering from “summer brain drain.”

There’s no avoiding the return to school. But parents can help kids ease the transition by creating an environment that’s comforting — and conducive to learning at the same time. If your child is struggling to adjust to going back to school, some simple changes in her bedroom might help make the move less difficult.

“Many studies have shown the correlation between academic achievement and an environment well-designed to facilitate learning activities,” says Todd Imholte, president of Environmental Graphics. “Kids’ rooms need to be a place where they can relax and be themselves, yet also study without distractions.”

Your first step is to communicate with your child to find out her vision for her room. Select a color palette and theme together. What are her likes and dislikes? Does he want to incorporate a favorite hobby or activity into the decor? Incorporating your child’s design ideas into the room will make him feel like the room belongs to him.

Next, establish areas in the room that will complement how your child uses her room every day. Your child’s room probably serves multiple functions as sleep center, play room and homework headquarters. The best children’s rooms are ones that incorporate fun and function, playfulness and practicality.

Bed basics

When was the last time your child didn’t have an opinion about her bed? Probably when she was a newborn. As soon as kids can speak and interact with their environment, they start forming opinions about what their rooms, and especially their beds, should look like. As a parent, you want to be sure her bed is comfortable and practical – essential factors if she’s going to get a good night’s sleep in it. And adequate rest is a must for all kids.

Mom and dad really do know best when it comes to choosing a bed, so go with something that is practical, works for the room decor and gives your child the comfort, support and security she needs to rest well. Once a bed meets those priorities, you can factor in some fun, like opting for a special shape or color, or adding bunk beds or a trundle bed for fun, easy sleepovers. Seventh Avenue, an online retailer, offers a solid pine version that looks like a classic daybed when the trundle is closed, but easily converts to a side-by-side trundle to accommodate guests.

Down to school business

Once he’s well-rested, your youngster will need somewhere in his room to do homework. Some kids may opt to sit on their beds with a lap desk, but most will benefit from a dedicated space in their room where they can get organized and serious about their school work. Your young scholar will need a desk, comfortable chair and a place for his computer.

Older kids can help pick out a desk and chair set that works for their tastes, needs and decor. Consider a functional space-saver, like a corner desk. Seventh Avenue offers a kid-friendly set that comes in bright colors like purple, pink and blue.

Creating comfort

Their own room is the one spot in the house where kids can really put their personal stamp on things. Allowing children to personalize their own space can help them feel more comfortable and relaxed there.

From choosing a color palette that they love or a theme that speaks to them, to adding furniture pieces emblazoned with their names, there are many ways parents can help children personalize their rooms. If new paint and carpeting aren’t in the budget, a few personalized accessories can completely change the look of a room and enhance kids’ sense of belonging in their own space. Personalized pieces can be as simple as a door placard or wall hanging featuring the child’s name or as special as a personalized child’s rocking chair.

Creating a kid’s room that is fun, functional and comfortable can help ease kids back into the school year – and make them happier and more productive in their own personal spaces. For more decorating ideas, visit www.seventhavenue.com.

Courtesy of ARAcontent