Hairstyling: the timeless hustle

No one wants to spend a lot of money in college on hair, for the

simple fact they do not have the finances. Some may be so caught up

in going to a hair salon and finding established professionals that

they forget to look among their own Aggie family.

No one wants to spend a lot of money in college on hair, for the simple fact they do not have the finances. Some may be so caught up in going to a hair salon and finding established professionals that they forget to look among their own Aggie family.

Shae Copeland, a junior family & consumer science education major, has been doing hair since she was nine years old.

“I didn’t start really making money till the age of 14. I love the craft of doing hair, it allows me to be creative and I’m always eager to learn how to do the new trendy hairstyles. And of course the money is great,” said Copeland.

Her specialties consist of braids, twists (Senegalese and kinky), and she also does wash and sets, flexi rods and natural hair. Copeland’s prices range from $25 for a wash and set to $120 for twists and braids. Though Copeland is a FCS major she has thought about going back to cosmetology school after obtaining her master’s degree. Copeland’s work can be found on her Facebook page in her hair album under the name of Shae Cope.

Senior journalism & mass communications major Tiffani Hartsfield also makes a profit from doing hair. Though Hartsfield did not start doing hair until 2008, she loves the fact that she can improve a person’s self esteem while expressing creativity with her hands. Hartsfield has big plans with doing hair, which include bringing huge opportunities back to A&T’s campus. “After I graduate in December, I’m going to explore any opportunities of opening a salon for Aggies on campus.” What many students may not know is in the past, there was a salon and barbershop on campus located in the union. Hartsfield also wants to own two hair salons, one in her hometown Richmond, Va. and another in the triad area.

With Hartsfield’s plans to make this happen, she has been making her resume look good to make her goal a reality. She currently does hair at Elite Cuts and Salon on 364 W Lee St. There she does natural hair, specifically dread locs. She offers discounts to Aggies and other local college students.

Doing hair is not something frivolous that Hartsfield enjoys doing in her free time. She wants to help others through her talent. “I would like to start a non-profit organization similar to Locks of Love for African Americans suffering from hair loss.” Hartsfield hopes all the various business ventures she has will enable her to retire by the age of 50 years old.

Through these two examples, students can now look back on their home campus to help solve their hair troubles. For the male students it is not too difficult to find someone talented with a pair of clippers for a shape-up or a clean-cut trim.

The job that was once viewed as a side hustle for students seems to be more substantial and profiting for those who put real work into their talent. It may be something to fall back on for Copeland and Hartsfield who are working towards degrees in other fields, but this is something they are both putting in to get major rewards back. This just goes to show students that Aggies are more than what their degree may say. Do not be hesitant in recognizing the talents and workings of the students here on campus.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Ashley Vaughn, Scene Editor