Staff Member’s Death Shocks Students

A celebration of the life of Jonathan Riddick was held on Monday, Sept. 28, 2015. Riddick was an employee of North Carolina Agriculture & Technical State University, where he also graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Electronics Technology in 2010.

Riddick had a way of touching the hearts of so many in Smith Hall. Throughout his time at N.C. A&T, Jonathan was known to share his sweet and welcoming spirit with all he encountered. The impact he’d made on campus could easily be seen by those who congregated in Room 2014 to honor his memory.

Riddick died on Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2015  which came as a shock to the university. Paul Campbell, a systems analysts at N.C. A&T a good friend who also worked closely with Jonathan said how he had not heard for him and was concerned when he learned Riddick’s family hadn’t heard from him either. Campbell was with the police as they found his body.

The Department of Technology announced his death to their students before they made an official announcement.  After the announcement, Campbell recalls how students volunteered to help Riddick’s family clean up his apartment after a sign was put up in the halls of Smith.

Riddick’s family members have been open about their loved one during this difficult time. A memorial service was held in Smith hall where students, faculty, and staff filled the room with spiritual songs, scriptures, reflections and gathered to hear heartfelt remarks from Riddick’s father.

When asked about the memorial service held in Smith Hall on her brother’s behalf, Justine Riddick smiled from ear to ear and said, “It made me feel amazing. After he died…it might sound selfish… I started reading the [Facebook] post. It’s very comforting to know that he was such a good person, to know that he cared about so many people and so many people cared about him… It gives me something to aspire to.”

His kindness has did not go unnoticed.

Although many students did not know, Riddick played the drums at his local church on Bessemer Avenue where his memorial service was held.

As stated in his obituary, “Jonathan will be remembered as a talented drummer, with a brilliant mind for technology and for having a loving heart. His memories will remain in the hearts of all he touched and his beat will go on, and on…”

If you are grappling with the loss of a loved one, please be sure to visit Counseling Services in Murphy Hall, Suite 109.

Taylor Young & Bria Bonner – Editor in Chief & Photographer