Lecture Highlights STEM Programs

Tomorrow Oct. 1st, 2015 The College of Arts and Sciences announces the Inaugural Willie A. Deese Global Lecture Series featuring Dr. Shirley Malcom. 

Dr. Willie A. Deese is the executive vice president and president of the Merck a manufacturing Division and is responsible for Merck’s worldwide manufacturing operations. Overseeing 85 manufacturing and distribution sites in over 25 countries around the world Deese has 26,000 people reporting to him and operates his division on a budget of $9 billion. In March 2011, Dr. Deese was awarded the Beta Gamma Sigma National Business Achievement Award. The Aggie alum earned his Bachelor’s of Arts in Business Administration in 1977, his Master of Business Administration at Western New England College in 1983, and also received an Honorary Doctorate Degree in Humanities from North Carolina A&T State University in May, 2011.

The Inaugural Willie A. Deese Global Lecture Series features Dr. Shirley Malcom, the head of the Directorate for Education and Human Resource Programs of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

Dr. Malcom is a trustee of Caltech, a regent of Morgan State University, and a member of the SUNY Research Council. She is a former member of the National Science Board, the policymaking body of the National Science Foundation, and served on President Clinton’s Committee of Advisors on Science and Technology. The Bimingham, AL. native completed her Bachelor of Science degree with a distinction in zoology at the University of Washington, went on to receive a Master’s in zoology from UCLA, hen finally earned a Doctorate degree in ecology from Pennsylvania State University. Held in high esteem, Dr. Malcolm currently holds 16 honorary degrees.

In 2003, Dr. Malcom received the Public Welfare Medal of the National Academy of Sciences, the highest honor awarded the Academy. Malcom is a global and local advocate for educating both young girls and women in Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) and improving diversity and competiveness in these fields.

The theme of the lecture is “Science and Society: Advancing Humanity.” Dr. Shirley Malcom’s presentation will touch upon the importance of education and advancing the careers of girls and women in the STEM fields.

This free event is open to the public and will be held in the General Classroom Building auditorium at 3p.m. A small reception will take place after the lecture series.

Batrice Ramsey – Contributor

-Email  the A&T Register at [email protected]. Follow us on Twitter@theatregister