Epps gets cleared of alleged sexual assault

The University Police Department is continuing its investigation

into an alleged attempted sexual assault that occurred in Aggie

Suites F dormitory early Saturday morning.

The University Police Department is continuing its investigation into an alleged attempted sexual assault that occurred in Aggie Suites F dormitory early Saturday morning.

UPD first identified student Zachery Epps as the suspect in Aggie Alerts. Epps was later cleared by UPD, according to a later Aggie Alert message.

“I cannot comment much right now due to this being an ongoing investigation,” Chief Glenn Newell said. “We have interviewed the victim several times, witnesses and various people and we are still gathering information and reviewing footage from the cameras from the resident hall.”

Aggie Alert is the university’s emergency notification systems were it distributes text messages to mobile devices to individuals who are registered within the system.

Newell wanted to make sure students understood that they did not mean to falsify Epps name and an apology wasn’t issued due to them following protocol.

“There wasn’t an apology that needed to be said, you have to understand that Mr. Epps was identified by the victim so there wasn’t an mistake by the university or the police department, the university followed protocol,” said Newell. “The young lady identified the individual so that was the reason why protocol was followed however, we as the police department had the responsible to retract the information which is why we sent out an email and alert and forward the university community that he was not responsible for the crime.”

Newell wants the university to know that just like any other investigation, this will take time but once a suspect has been identified and in custody, the university will make an announcement for the students and faculty.

“While Aggie Alert is a good tool to have to alert the A&T community of possible danger and criminal activity, UPD must be sure of what is sent out to students,” said Neque Willis, a sophomore supply chain management from Charlotte.

Newell said that the safety of the university is a high priority for them and they have hired additional help to secure all corners of campus. “Situations like this is not an usual thing on college campuses,” said Newell.

He said that the university has assigned officers to residence halls and heightened their security. He said there are more officers than they have ever had on campus that includes additional officers to work in dorms, all female dorms having 24 hour security, officers who just patrol around campus on foot and a checkpoint for individuals driving to enter campus.

Newell repeats that this investigation is ongoing and any other information that develops later on, the university will get announcements on the issue. If you have any information relating to the case, contact UPD at 336-334-7675.

After several attempts to contact Epps, he was unavailable for comment.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Erik Veal, Online Editor