Bringing awareness to students

Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the United States behind heart disease.

According to the American Cancer Society, it is expected that more than 1.5 million cases will be reported this year.

Cancer is a wide group of diseases characterized by an abnormal growth of cells. The cells grow uncontrollably, invade other cells in the body, and can cause death. Over 100 types of cancer exist, typically named for the area they start such as breast, lung, and gastrointestinal cancer.

October is breast cancer awareness month. Many Aggies have had personal experiences with cancer.

Ivey Owens, a junior biology pre-med major, has had an extensive history with cancer. Her mom and three of her four aunts have been diagnosed with breast cancer. So when she noticed lumps in her breast, she went to her doctor.

Owens had the tumor biopsied to determine whether it was a malignant or benign tumor. She was grateful upon discovering her tumor was benign.

Owens remains vigilant for tumors due to her family history and chooses to take her family’s experiences with cancer as trials that have made her stronger. Owens feels it is important for women to know the risks and get screened.

“As young ladies it is important to do self exams in addition to going to the doctor and getting mammograms and biopsies. My mom did self exams, but it was actually found by the doctor.”

Owens was a senior in high school when her mother was diagnosed , which led to her decision to attend A&T.

“I was shocked she had the cancer, but I was prepared because of what my aunts had gone through.” Owens’ mom had a mastectomy to help ensure the cancer would not return to her breast.

As in most cases of cancer, her mom’s surgery was followed by rounds of chemotherapy and radiation, which are used to kill off any remaining abnormal cells that could have been left behind during the procedure. Owens remained by her mother to support her.

Another Aggie plagued by cancer is alum Cherrell Brown. During Brown’s freshman year, she was repeatedly taken to the hospital for stomach issues such as abdominal pains and irregularities.

Her diagnosis of gastrointestinal cancer was missed repeatedly before a doctor realized it.

Gastrointestinal cancer forms in the lining of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. There are currently no programs for primary prevention of gastric cancer in the United States.

There are also no plans to start screening programs in the US due to fairly low incidences of gastric cancer. However, endoscopies are used to diagnose the cancer. An endoscopy uses an endoscope with a light attached at the end to illuminate the organs to be viewed by a doctor.

According to the American Cancer Society, about 22,000 cases of gastric cancer are diagnosed annually in the United States. Although cases of gastric cancers have decreased in the United States, it is the second leading cause of death worldwide.

Brown was familiar with cancer because it runs in her family.

Her maternal grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer and survived, only to later die from leukemia.

Brown’s mother is also a breast cancer survivor. Her mother was diagnosed 6 years ago and is currently in remission.

Brown had surgery and chemotherapy after her diagnosis. She did not share the diagnosis with those around her until she was sure she would be ok.

“I hid it for a very long time. I didn’t know how to take that sympathy, and I didn’t want it.” She also felt her family was going through enough with recent losses due to cancer.

Her full schedule had to be adjusted to fit the treatments.

She became a part time student and quit one of her jobs because it was difficult to manage that amount of work and she wanted to sleep for 16 plus hours daily.

She learned a few lessons from cancer. “My mom was strong and that strength rubbed off on me. It also made me realize not to sweat the small stuff. In comparison to cancer it’s all small stuff.”

Brown also changed her lifestyle, eliminating meat from her diet and becoming a full vegetarian this year.

She has had a few relapses but feels fortunate to bounce back from them. She also gets yearly appointments to make sure there are no new growths.

Brown shares her story in hopes that people will take their health more seriously in order to do what they can to prevent cancer. She encourages people to eat right, exercise and adopt a positive attitude.

“It’s important to be preventive- best way to fight the ‘C-monster,’” Brown said.

There will be various Breast Cancer Awareness Programs on campus throughout the month of October, including one held by the Biological Honor Society on Oct. 29 in Barnes.

For more information on these types of cancer you can go to, www.cancer.gov. For more on breast cancer you can go to, www.breastcancerawareness.com.

–Email us [email protected] and follow us on Twitter: @ATRegister

• Noma Vilane, Contributor