Whet your appetite for ‘The Hunger Games’

In case you have not been watching television or have not been paying attention to the New York Times Bestseller’s list, “The Hunger Games” is about to take over the world.

What many may not know is, this film is based off of a book trilogy.

Just like the latest novel/movie hits “Twilight” and “Harry Potter,” this movie is set to break records at the box office this weekend.

“The Hunger Games” which cost $80 million to make is set to be a four-movie franchise and is projected to make over $90 million its opening weekend.

If those numbers become a reality, this movie will beat the numbers from the first “Twilight” movie.

For some it may seem like the popularity of this movie came out of nowhere, but more than 24 million copies of “The Hunger Games” trilogy are in print in the United States alone.The first book stayed on the New York Times bestseller for 180 consecutive weeks. About 9.6 million copies were in circulation domestically when the movie’s marketing campaign intensified last summer.

The success of this franchise has been a long time coming, with the early promotion for the film began in 2009.

Though the film has few big name established actors, it is apparent big names are not always needed to make a movie a success.

Young names Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth play the main characters in this film who bring the story to life.

This film is sure to boost those young names’ careers in the movie realm. Regardless of who is in the film, the buzz behind this movie is worth going to see, just to make sure the buzz is credible.

If you are a fast reader, try to read the first novel of the series to compare and contrast the book with the film. If not see the movie and then read the book.

Whichever you chose, it is time to build up your appetite for “The Hunger Games.”

[email protected] and follow us on twitter @ATRegister.

• Ashley Vaughn, Scene Editor