The heavy truth behind light cigarette labeling

(ARA) – What does “light,” “low” or “mild” mean to you? For many consumers, these words may suggest a healthier or safer product. But when it comes to cigarettes, there’s no such thing as a safe cigarette. Health experts agree that no matter what they taste, smell or look like, all cigarettes are harmful to your health.

According to research from the National Cancer Institute, the use of descriptors like “light,” “low” and “mild” in the labeling and advertising of tobacco products mislead many smokers to believe that these products are less harmful and may help smokers quit or even reduce the risk of developing smoking-related cancers and other diseases.

Recognizing this fact, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration now prohibits the use of the words “light,” “low” or “mild” on the packages of tobacco products, in accordance with the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act.

“It is crucial that the public understand this law, the FDA’s actions, and how they are intended to protect the public health,” says Dr. Lawrence R. Deyton, director of the FDA’s Center for Tobacco Products.

Because the Tobacco Control Act is aimed at providing the public with a better understanding of the health effects of tobacco use, here are a few other common misconceptions about smoking.

Myth: Tobacco is only addictive for certain people.

Fact: While level and character of nicotine addiction varies from person to person, nicotine is chemically addictive. According to the U.S. Surgeon General, tobacco addiction can be as difficult to break as addiction to heroin or cocaine.

Myth: Lower levels of tar and nicotine in “light,” “low” or “mild” cigarettes offer smokers a safer alternative to full tar and nicotine.

Fact: The National Cancer Institute has concluded that light cigarettes provide no benefit to smokers’ health. People who switch to light cigarettes from regular cigarettes are likely to inhale the same amount of hazardous chemicals, and remain at high risk for developing smoking-related cancers and other diseases.

Myth: If you’ve always been a smoker, quitting now won’t do you any good.

Fact: Quitting will always lead to better health. A 35-year-old man who smokes will, on average, live about five years longer by quitting, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

If you or somebody you know is struggling to quit smoking, you are not alone. Immediate resources are available online or over the phone. Visit www.SmokeFree.gov or call (800) QUIT-NOW.