Why are hybrid cars cheaper to insure?

What kind of car is in your driveway? If it’s one of the new hybrids, congratulations. Not only are you doing your part to cut greenhouse gas emissions and save energy, you’re likely saving on auto insurance as well.

Hybrid cars aren’t just cheaper to drive, they may be cheaper to insure as well. Research shows that most hybrid car owners are socially aware people who tend to avoid accidents and attend to their cars. This puts them into the lower-risk category, which gives insurance companies the chance to offer them a lower insurance premium. How much you can expect to save depends on the insurer, though, so be sure to ask if the company offers any discounts for hybrids when you get your auto insurance quote.

Whether you own a hybrid or not, when seeking car insurance quotes it’s in your best interest to make sure you are getting all of the discounts you are qualified to receive.

Here are some of the more common discounts to ask about:

1. Safe driver discount. If you’ve had a clean driving record – meaning no accidents or violations – during the past three years, you could get rewarded with a lower rate. Many insurance companies also offer discounts to people who can prove they’ve taken a state-approved defensive driving class.

2. Safe car discount. If your vehicle is equipped with airbags, factory-installed motorized seatbelts, anti-lock brakes, and/or an anti-theft device, you may be eligible for this discount.

3. Discounts for students and seniors. If you’re younger than 25, a full-time student and have a good GPA, you may qualify for a good student discount. Seniors, over the age of 65, who drive more than a quarter of their vehicle’s total mileage can qualify for discounts as well, often a reduction in their personal injury protection (PIP) coverage.

4. Multi-policy discount. Another way to save may be by carrying your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance with the same company that carries your auto policy.