Attention authors: 4 reasons to go with an indie publisher

Due to advancements in technology like digital cinematography cameras and internet distribution, artists in both the movie and music industries have been producing their work independently for decades now. Now, in that same independent spirit, writers also have the freedom to bypass the traditional conventions of publishing to achieve their goal of becoming a published author.

The common thread that enables independence for film, music and publishing is technology. New technologies and mainstream use of the Internet have made it easier for artists in every industry to bring their work to the masses without being backed by the bankroll of a major corporation, and book publishing is no exception. Since the introduction of desktop publishing, which eliminated the need for typesetting, and digital printing, which made capital intensive offset printing runs unnecessary, indie book publishing has exploded. Growth in the traditional publishing sector has remained relatively flat since 2007, but indie book publishing and self publishing has seen steady growth in the number of books published, according to Bowker, who contracts with the U.S. government to assign identification numbers to newly published books.

A big reason authors have flocked toward indie publishing companies and self publishing is the increased chance of getting their works to market without the frustration and the potential heartbreak that goes along with working with agents and trying to sell manuscripts to a large publishing house. But indie book publishers, particularly those that have supported self-publishing packages, offer many of the same things that larger publishers do, while giving authors more creative control over how their books are published, promoted and distributed.

Here are four reasons new and seasoned authors alike are attracted to indie book publishing companies:

1. Control. Larger publishers often don’t allow authors to control how their books are designed or promoted. Many authors want complete creative control over their intellectual property.

2. Retention of rights. With indie publishing, authors usually control all the rights that go along with their work. Traditional publishers often secure subsidiary rights as part of their contract with authors. By retaining full rights to their work, authors can be the sole beneficiaries if they receive a movie deal or foreign distribution.

3. Speed to market. Whereas it may take years to get a book contract, then get it designed and distributed through a traditional publisher, independent publishing companies usually allow an author to get a book to market in a few months—sometimes in as little as 30 days.

With the advent of e-book publishing, speed to market has increased. It is now possible to produce electronic copies of books for the Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble nook, Sony Reader and other digital consumption devices.

4. Potential for increased revenue. Writers who use indie book publishers usually get a bigger share of the profit from each book sold.

While authors using indie book publishers often have to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,000 to get their books to market using self-supported publishing, they aren’t required to pay for the printing of each book or to buy a certain number of books upfront. That said, authors can usually buy a certain number of books at a substantial discount and sell them for whatever price the market will bear. While traditional book publishers might pay an author for their work upfront, many authors prefer the control and opportunities allowed through indie book publishing.

To learn more about what’s available through independent book publishing, visit www.authorhouse.com or www.iuniverse.com.

Courtesy of ARAcontent