Candidates look for student vote

Candidates for the 2013-2014 Student Government Association gave speeches on March 21 in Carver Hall Auditorium.

The contenders spoke on their platforms and plans they intend to put into action if elected into office.

Canisha Turner, junior agricultural business management major from Waverly, Va. is running for SGA president unopposed. Turner explained her platform, “It’s time for a woman’s touch,” reflects that it is time for a woman to come into office and take care of business. She wants to continue the university’s legacy while bringing some change for the next academic school year.

Turner continued, “We [women] bring intellect, elegance to everything we see. We are ready to be a head of state.”

SGA secretary candidates Jasmine Brodie, Tiffany Carson and Melanie Thompson discussed leadership skills they will bring to the SGA E-board if elected. Brodie, whose flier notes “Mightier Than The Sword,” believes the E-board needs a strong secretary to be successful.

Carson’s platform is “Providing Executive Leadership, Continuing the Legacy.”

“I have learned the most powerful gift we have is believing,” said Carson.

“We must challenge ourselves in order to grow. My past leadership experience has equipped me to get the job done.”

Ryan Marcus, junior economics major and the candidate for vice president of external affairs, is also running unopposed. Marcus, who was elected VPEA in last year’s elections and resigned at the beginning of the 2012-2013 school year, wants to leave a legacy of structure and service. His platform is “Escalating the Pride.”

“I’ve served as the VPEA intern for 2012-2013 school year. I’m running for this position because my passion is North Carolina A&T,” he said.

Junior Adillah Muhammad is running against current senate member, Isiah Ginyard, for vice president of internal affairs (VPIA). Muhammad’s platform is “Developing School Culture Through Respect, Leadership and Service.”

She discussed how students are encouraged to vote but are not given opportunities to share their voices on student issues.

“Students are tired of people seeking their vote and not their interest,” said Muhammad. “We must diminish the thought that no one cares, so let’s start involving our student body with SGA.”

Ginyard’s platform is S.U.I.T. U.P. (Service, Understanding, Interacting, Together our University Progess).

The Mr. and Miss A&T candidates introduced themselves to the stuent body in their pageant. The pageant was held Sunday March 24 in Harrison Auditorium to help students decide who to vote for.

The pageant featured three categories, oratory, talent and formal wear. The program began with a ‘70s theme where each candidate dressed and dancing from the era and went to the microphone and said an introduction.

The candidates for Miss A&T are Courtney Young, Adara Johnson, Jelina Sheppard, Vernetta Jenkins, and Ambriya Neal.

Anthony Fitzhugh spoke on the types of programs he wants to bring to A&T. “This is our time to rise above and to walk in the shoes of those who came before us. I want to bring health and wellness back to the forefront of this campus and have programs that focus on getting the campus physically and mentally fit.”

“I’m running because I believe you are royalty. Take your throne. It’s your time to shine students. We are all royalty,” Young told the audience.

On programs, Johnson said, “I love A&T and helping students here. I want to have programs about self worth and self value.”

Sheppard began with the scripture Hebrews 11:1 saying, “I want to be a queen and show you that with hard work and prayer, we can do great things at A&T. Aggie Pride is not dead because I see it every day on this campus.”

On the Miss A&T position Jenkins said, “If I’m elected to Miss NC A&T I would work to fill the gap. We all know that Aggie Pride is nationwide and worldwide, but we must first be campus wide.”

“A leader isn’t something you become,” Neal said. “It’s something you are”

For the talent portion, Mr. A&T candidate Fitzhugh sang a mash up of “Transformation” by Lawrence Flowers, “The Climb” by Miley Cyrus, “Grateful” by Hezekiah Walker and “I Believe I Can Fly” by R. Kelly.

The first Miss A&T candidate, Young did a praise dance to “A Change Is Gonna Come” by Sam Cooke. Next, Johnson did a monologue from Tyler Perry’s “Diary of A Mad Black Woman.” Sheppard performed a song entitled “Believe in Yourself” from the Wiz while dressed as Dorothy. Jenkins did a modern dance to Beyonce’s “The End of Time.” Neal ended the talent portion with the song “The Prayer”.

The final portion was formal wear and each contestant was presented with one question to answer while in their formal wear. The questions included “who is a celebrity they most identified with and why?”, “what do you feel is the greatest contribution our generation has left?” and “what are the best ways to help the African American community?”

The future Miss A&T will be decided by the students on Wednesday. The pageant may be the deciding factor for some Aggies, but not for everyone.

Janae Moore, senior Liberal Studies , Pre Law major said, “I don’t think the pageant helped me decide who to vote for, but it helped me paint a clear picture of the candidates.”

Elections will be held today, Wednesday, March 27 in Exhibit Hall. Students can also vote online from anywhere.

–Email [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @TheATRegister

• Chochue Eshun and Noma vilane, Contributors