Celebrity soccer mom picks flu vaccination as a priority

(ARA) – Brandi Chastain is not only a soccer legend, she’s also a mom. She knows what it’s like during back-to-school season. New school schedules, sporting events and daily homework don’t stop her from making flu vaccination a priority each year.

For the second year in a row, Chastain has teamed-up with MedImmune, Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS), and the American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO) on a national health campaign to raise awareness about the importance of flu vaccination. This year’s theme, “When Will You Pick?” encourages families to get an annual flu vaccination as soon as it is available – before the flu strikes – with the important message: “This Flu Season, Don’t Wait to Vaccinate!”

“My top priority is keeping myself and my family healthy and active all season,” Chastain says when asked why she joined the campaign. “As moms, we try to stay healthy by exercising, eating right and getting plenty of rest, but we also need to help defend and protect ourselves each year by getting a flu vaccine as soon as it’s available.”

This year, for the first time, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends every eligible American age 6 months and older get a flu vaccine. Importantly, the CDC advises that flu vaccination begin as soon as vaccine is available and continue throughout the flu season, which can extend through the winter and beyond.

“Along with all the things that parents know are important for helping keep their kids healthy – like washing hands and getting enough sleep – flu vaccination should be at the top of the list,” says Dr. Anat Feingold, pediatrician, influenza expert and mother of three. “Vaccination is the best defense we have against influenza and it’s something families should make a priority every year.”

According to the CDC, as many as 60 million Americans get the flu each year and resulting complications can be significant.

Also, the flu can be especially serious for children. Each year, an average of 20,000 children younger than 5 will be hospitalized as a result of flu complications and kids between the ages of 2 and 17 are twice as likely to get the flu as adults.

There are two types of flu vaccine: the shot and the nasal spray. Families should talk to their health care provider about which vaccine option is right for them.

To learn more about the importance of flu vaccination, visit www.facebook.com/dontwaitvaccinate, which offers tips for staying healthy throughout the flu season, a quiz to test influenza knowledge and one-of-a-kind campaign videos and photos featuring Brandi Chastain. Also, for everyone who “likes” the Facebook fan page, $1 (up to $50,000) will be donated to help support the nationwide flu vaccination education efforts of the non-profit organization Families Fighting Flu.