‘Scream Week’ brings out scares

The Student University Activities Board (SUAB) got students into

the Halloween spirit with fun filled ‘Scream Week’ Oct. 26-28.

The Student University Activities Board (SUAB) got students into the Halloween spirit with fun filled ‘Scream Week’ Oct. 26-28.

Instead of hosting their usual Halloween party, the student organization spiced things up by giving students a week filled with events.

“We usually just have a Halloween costume party,” said SUAB president Kawanna Foster. “This year the idea was brought about by our campus programming chair Courtney Herring because we had three events that we wanted to do.”

Scream Week kicked off with the grand Halloween open mic.

The event took place in Exhibit Hall and allowed students to showcase their talents through spoken word, rapping,

and singing.

Although the show did not start until 7 p.m., Exhibit Hall filled up quickly and was already packed by the time the show started. After all the seats were taken, many students stood up to watch the performances, while others waited patiently outside the door for people to start leaving so that they could enter.

Anyone was allowed to sign up to participate in the open mic and names were drawn out of a hat to make the order of the performances random.

SUAB used Grand Trilogy, an entertainment group made up of several students, to help with the event. Grand Trilogy member Arrington Green served as the host for the open mic, while other group members performed pre-rehearsed Halloween skits, spoken word, and poetry, to help keep the show tied into the Halloween theme.

DJ Weatherman was also there to keep the crowd entertained as he spun popular songs by late performers Aaliyah and The Notorious B.I.G to name a few.

One performer’s rendition of Trey Songz “Gotta Go” had all of the ladies in the audience out of their seats.

“The show was great,”said Shaw Copeland, a junior family and consumer science education major. “The only thing that I didn’t like was that there was not enough seating.”

Scream Week continued Oct. 27 in Moore Gym with a haunted house.

Hundreds of students stood in long lines waiting to enter the haunted house. “I understand that they could only let a certain amount of people in at a time, but the line and wait was terrible,” said Kayla Goodman, a sophomore psychology major. “A lot of people were complaining,” said Goodman. She still enjoyed the haunted house and had some good laughs.

The people participating in the haunted house were volunteers. They consisted of A&T students and students active in SUAB. Brandon Hawkins, a junior computer science major was in the haunted house and said he enjoyed participating.

“It was a lot of fun scaring people, especially the students who walk around campus acting tough,” he said.

“It was well organized and I got to work with a lot of great students from campus.”

The final Scream Week event was the Halloween costume party, which took place Oct. 29 at 8 p.m. in Exhibit Hall. Although costumes were optional, many students did get in the Halloween spirit with costumes ranging from Pochahontas to Cleopatra and Gumby.

Foster said she feels great about the success of the events. “We had a packed open mic and a line from Moore gym to the Aggie Village for the haunted house,” she said. “That was definitely not expected. We always promote and keep a high expectation but it [our events] always exceeds what we expect.”

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Cheri Farrior, Register Reporter