Safety and motorcycle riding should always go hand-in-hand

Most responsible people wouldn’t even dream of leaving the driveway without first putting on their seatbelts. Motorcycles don’t have seatbelts, however, so it’s important to take full advantage of all the other safety gear available.

The Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) promotes safe riding by offering a lot of good motorcycle safety tips. Here are some of the best ways to protect yourself from head to toe:

1. Wear a helmet. The MIC recommends riders choose a full-face helmet that offers automatic eye protection built in with the visor. If you opt for a helmet that just protects your head, you’ll also need eye protection. Wearing goggles or sunglasses or some type of airtight protection for your eyes will keep your line of vision clear. It’ll also protect you from bugs and other airborne debris that might hit your eyes.

2. Motorcycle jackets. Armored leather jackets are especially popular as they have armor in the elbows, the shoulders and the back. Armor is really helpful because if you happen to slide out and land on those armored spots, the armor dissipates the impact and protects you. Leather also affords you more abrasion protection than textile does.

3. Motorcycle gloves. If you wipe out, it is human nature to put out your hands to try and stop yourself. This makes gloves a really important piece of safety equipment. If you land on asphalt with your bare hands, they’re going to get badly scraped. Most motorcycle gloves have armor on the knuckle area and extra impact resistance on the palm area.

4. Motorcycle pants. Avoid wearing shorts when you ride. They offer no protection. Long leather or textile pants, on the other hand, will protect your skin from rocks that may kick up from the highway. They can also offer ankle protection if they are long enough to tuck into your boots.

5. Motorcycle boots are another important piece of safety equipment. Flip-flops and sneakers offer no protection at all. Boots not only give you protection against abrasion, they can also keep your ankle in place and keep you from dislocating your ankle or otherwise injuring your legs.

In addition to wearing the right safety gear, it’s also important to purchase an insurance polity that covers your needs. Many companies will offer you a free motorcycle insurance quote online. Simply visit their websites and check out the motorcycle insurance coverage options they offer. You’re sure to find the policy that’s right for you.