Aggies march together to promote nonviolence

Last Wednesday marked the third anniversary of the death of A&T student Dennis Hayle who was shot and killed at a nearby student housing complex.

Also known as self- proclaimed “Mr. Long Island,” Hayle was a political science major from Hempstead, New York.

“Dennis used to smile,” said Shelton Morgan. Known for his radiant smile, Hayle was well known among the student body.

On Feb. 23, 2008, Hayle became a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Incorporated. Since Hayle’s death, the Mu Psi Chapter of Omega Psi Phi holds an annual memorial service here on campus.

This year, one of the organizers of the event was Mario Love who said that by having this yearly memorial, “what happened to Dennis can be prevented by becoming aware of your surroundings.”

The memorial program began shortly after noon with a remembrance walk from the Omega plot to the New General Academic Classroom Building. Many Greek-letter organizations such Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Incorporated; Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated; Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated were all in attendance.

The walk was followed by a ceremony which included a presentation of Hayle’s life and accomplishments.

Speaker Officer Henson of the Greensboro Police Department who is an alumnus of A&T spread the message of the importance of always being aware of your surroundings. The program also featured a segment on ways to prevent campus violence.

The investigation of Hayle’s death remains unsolved by the Greensboro Police Department.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Dashawn Fleming, Register Reporter