Black horror films take an interesting turn

Black horror movies like ‘Candyman’ featuring Anthony Todd in 1992, ‘Bones’ starring Snoop Dogg in 2001, and ‘Dead Heist’ with E-Bone, Bone Crusher, and Big Daddy Kane in 2007, were all great horror movies that kept many on the edge of their seats.

More recently, a black horror film titled ‘Repentance,’ is scheduled to release in theaters on Feb. 28, 2014. The film is expected to be one of the most captivating black horror films in the last few years.

For black films, ‘Repentance’ is a highly anticipated film because of the interesting and riveting storyline in this psychological thriller. The cast for this Liongates Entertainment film includes, Anthony Mackie (Thomas Carter “Tommy”), Forest Whitaker (Angel Sanchez), Sanaa Lathan (Maggie), Mike Epps (Ben), and Nicole Ari Parker as Sophie.  

The story involves a spiritual life coach/author, Thomas Carter, who ultimately gets his messages used against him by his disturbed client, Angel Sanchez. Sanchez has not received closure regarding his mother’s death.

Throughout the trailer, Sanchez says, “I’m not crazy” multiple times, as he kidnaps Thomas and terrorizes his family for their sins.  

Although Thomas knows how strong his abilities are as a spiritual therapist, he has no idea just how psychotic his client is.

Throughout the film, Thomas learns how to not only control this client, but also save himself as well as his family from the dangers Angel Sanchez may bring.

Many are hoping that “Repentance” does not fall into the stereotypes of many horror films. However, with such a seasoned cast the likely hood of that is doubtful.

Perhaps this film will spark a phenomenon and encourage other directors to write more characters of substance for black actors in horror films.

‘Repentance’ looks to be a promising film. This film stars some of Black Hollywood’s most talented actors and actresses.  Be sure to support ‘Repentance’ Friday, Feb. 28.

— Email Mariya at  [email protected]  and follow us on Twitter @TheATRegister

• Mariya Moseley, Register Reporter