“42” Movie Review

42 is one for the books. This bibliographical sports film directed by Brian Helgeland hit the big screen April 12, 2013. This film starring Chadwick Boseman did wonders in the box office taking in 27.3 million for its first weekend in theaters.

42, the tremendous story about the famous Brooklyn dodger’s player Jackie Robinson broadcasted the struggles of racism in the early 1900’s. Racism was not lightly portrayed in this film, the director wanted to make sure the viewers had a good understanding of what type of harassment and discrimination Jackie had to encounter. It highlighted some of the characters who played a huge role in the success of Jackie Robinson such as his wife, Rachel Robinson, and the dodger’s manager, Branch Ricky. Manager Ricky did the unthinkable and broke the major league Baseball color barrier. This movie showed the heroic events following Robinson’s acceptance to the Brooklyn dodgers all white baseball team. He paved the way for African Americans in the sport of baseball. A film like “42,” is for those who don’t mind sitting in the theater for more than two hours. If you are someone who doesn’t care for the crude acts in films then this movie is not for you.

I give this movie an A. The story line was decent, but seemed a little choppy. On the other hand even though it was mostly drama it had a couple funny moments that lightened up the mood of the film. You can’t help but to get caught up in some of the scenes, even toward the end of the movie it will have you leaving the movie theaters wanting to go see it again.

• Felexia Brasswell, Contributor