What time of the year is most dangerous for drivers?

Getting from place to place is a necessity, and driving certainly carries its risks. But are certain times more dangerous than others?

The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) uses its data to track crashes, and the answer is yes, it can be more dangerous to be on the road during certain times of year – and also certain times of day.

Here are some interesting findings from the most recent NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts report, compiled for 2009:

* August was the most fatal month for drivers, with 2,864 total fatalities. That month also had the highest rate of fatalities, with 1.09 deaths for every 100 million vehicle miles traveled.

* March was the least deadly month in terms of the rate of fatal accidents, with 0.94 deaths per 100 million miles traveled. February had the lowest total deaths, with 2,164.

* While August was the most deadly month for drivers, January and December were the most damaging for cars. Motorists reported 539,000 total accidents (238 per 100 million miles) in January and 525,000 accidents in December (217 per 100 million miles). Icy roads may have had something to do with those numbers.

* The most fatal time to be on the road during the week was between 5 and 6 p.m. (rush hour). During the weekend, 2 to 3 a.m. (when bars close) was the most deadly hour. In the particularly deadly time period – midnight to 3 a.m. – 66 percent of accidents involved alcohol.

While these numbers may seem like cause for alarm, driving has become safer over the years. Americans reported 26.8 percent fewer fatal accidents in 2009 compared to 1992. Less than 1 percent of all reported accidents resulted in a death. Keep in mind that a large number of minor accidents go unreported each year.

The best thing you can do to avoid becoming a part of these statistics is to take the proper safety precautions – always wear your seatbelt and never drive under the influence of alcohol and other drugs.

And since some accidents are unavoidable, make sure your family auto insurance is up to date. While it’s on your mind, it may be a good time to check if you are getting the best auto insurance rates. With tools available on the Internet to compare rates, it’s never been easier to save on auto insurance.

For more safe driving tips, visit www.safercar.gov.