Student gets radio talk show

Joel Williamson is on a mission to reach out to students by

providing a platform to address issues they face. Starting Nov.1,

this senior, business management major will host a public talk show

on WNAA’s 90.1. The Student Corner will discuss a variety of issues

ranging from time management to relationships. Williamson sat down

with The A&T Register to discuss his new show.

Joel Williamson is on a mission to reach out to students by providing a platform to address issues they face. Starting Nov.1, this senior, business management major will host a public talk show on WNAA’s 90.1. The Student Corner will discuss a variety of issues ranging from time management to relationships. Williamson sat down with The A&T Register to discuss his new show.

Register: Why start a talk show now?

Williamson: God gave me the idea last semester, and I saw D. Cherie (the program and music director for WNAA)

throughout the summer, and never talked to her about the show. Then the second week of school, I came by and we talked about the show. The Student Corner is an avocation tool. It’s letting the community know, it’s letting the school know, it’s letting the alumni know; these are the areas that need to be addressed.

R: What will be the show’s focus?

W: What we are doing is using radio as a tool that will advocate the issues students are facing. This isn’t simple stuff like I hate what the café is serving, or my teacher is always failing everybody. This is more intense, more in-depth, this is the root. If you knock a tree over, you did not kill that tree because its roots are still in the soil. We’re

finding the roots, we’re getting to the issues that we as students are facing.

R: How did you decide what you will discuss?

W: Every day for the past month, I’ve been going to breakfast. At breakfast it’s me, Arrington Green, and Steve Liggins, and we talk about how the university really works. You know I and Steve have been in leadership positions, and Arrington has been involved in all social aspects, and other areas. We talk about all the issues that

face the students. I then asked what you would do if you had an opportunity to talk about these issues, and both of them said they were down for the cause.

R: How do you think the community will react to this kind of show?

W: I’m going to receive criticism for this show, but I’m also going to receive praise. At the end it shows it forming. This is for students, as long as God is using me to provide a venue for them to speak, let me be that light.

R: What makes this show different?

W: The content. I’m not saying we’re controversial, but I’m not saying we won’t address what needs to be said. The reality is, there comes a time in a man and woman’s life when they need to hear the truth. This is what I hope this show does. The distinct design of this show is to offer not only a different perspective, but also an understanding

on issues. This show really breaks the mold, we’re playing it humble.

The Student Corner will air Tuesdays at 5 p.m. on 90.1.This first broadcast will focus on time management

• Kelcie C. McCrae, Editor-in-Chief