Helping dispel some of the most talked about driving myths

You may have heard that during a rainstorm you should put on a pair of sunglasses to increase your visibility, that when it’s snowing or raining you should not use your cruise control and that there is typically little a teenager or his parents can do to keep car insurance rates down.

Are these just myths, or is there any truth to these statements that have become urban legend? Here are some answers and car safety tips:

Myth: During rain, put on any pair of sunglasses to increase your visibility

Truth: Only polarized sunglasses will make a difference. During rain, snow or fog, light waves are scattered at many angles, making it difficult to see. Polarized sunglasses have filters that block out the obstructive horizontal light rays, possibly making it easier to see details such as road markings through rain, and helping to see further in fog or smog for daytime driving.

Myth: When it is snowing or raining, never drive in the rain with cruise control.

Truth: This is actually true. While you may believe that driving at a consistent speed in the rain will increase your vehicle’s safety, driving with cruise control when the roads are wet is actually more dangerous. According to The National Safety Commission (TNSC), cruise control may cause your car’s tires to lose contact with the pavement and hydroplane even at speeds as low as 35 mph. During heavy rain, TNSC recommends that you take your foot off the gas pedal to slow down your car. Unless you have anti-lock brakes, you should never apply the brakes until your car’s speed is reduced.

Myth: There’s little a teenager or his parents can do to keep car insurance rates down.

Truth: This is false information. Insurance companies realize that insuring a young driver can be expensive. That’s why many offer discounts that a teenager could be eligible for:

* If you’re younger than 25 years old, single and a full-time student who meets GPA requirements, you could be eligible for this valuable discount.

* If you carry coverage for your child who’s under 21 and lives at a school that’s more than 100 miles away from where the vehicle is garaged, you could save valuable cash on your premiums.

* If you enroll your teen in a driving safety course, you may save even more. Please keep in mind that typically, the class must be a state-approved defensive driving class as court-mandated classes do not qualify for a discount.