Law enforcement takes on Benbow Road

Students running late for Tuesday morning classes may have run

into a roadblock in getting there on time.

Students running late for Tuesday morning classes may have run into a roadblock in getting there on time.

From 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the intersection of Benbow Road and Bluford Circle, more than 25 law enforcement officers filled the streets for a Click it or Ticket checkpoint on campus.  

“At first I thought something had happened, and when the police checked my license I found out what was going on,” said senior Precious Walker. “I think it’s pointless other than for making me late for class.”

Every year, the North Carolina Governors Highway Safety Program sponsors a series of checkpoints throughout the state designed to encourage vehicle safety. Lt. Walter Heaviland, the program coordinator, says there are between 20 and 30 checkpoints scheduled throughout any given year.

The Click It or Ticket initiative started in 1993 as a way to increase seat belt and child safety use rates.

“Under the Click It or Ticket program what we’re looking for is seat belt enforcement and motor vehicle violations,” said Heaviland. “What you saw out there were officers working together stopping and checking to make sure you were wearing your seat belt, and if you weren’t then we took enforcement action.” 

With the checkpoint happening on campus, it created a stir amongst students. Walker says that she as well as her friends were shocked in seeing so many officers at one time.

Although the primary focus was to address the use of seat belts, the officers were also on the lookout for suspended licenses, warrants, expired tags, and other traffic violations.

Throughout their two-hour enforcement stint, officers issued 85 traffic citations. There were the following violations: 19 seatbelt, 19 registration, 15 driving while driver’s license revoked, 14 driving without a license, 10 traffic, and eight inspection.

A&T may have a reputation of being a party school, but no arrests were made on alcohol, drug, or weapon possessions.

“However many cars went through this in a two-hour time now are aware of what’s going on,” said Heaviland.

Although the checkpoint happened at A&T, the campus police department was only a small part of the operation.

“We were required to participate,” said campus police chief Glenn Newell. “A&T had nothing to do with facilitating it.”

Though Benbow Road and Bluford Circle run through North Carolina A&T’s campus, they are considered City of Greensboro streets. Because of this, A&T’s police department teamed up with Greensboro police, Guilford Sheriff’s Department, N.C. Highway Patrol, and High Point, Gibsonville and UNCG police departments in this initiative.

“What we have is the synergistic effort of all the agencies in Guilford County working together providing resources and manpower,” said Heaviland. “The whole purpose is to enforce motor vehicle laws.”

Despite the annoyance felt by students like Walker, both Newell and Heaviland agreed that it was a successful checkpoint.

“It went well,” said Newell. “A lot of people are driving with revoked and that’s a problem. If you’re not licensed to drive you shouldn’t be behind the wheel.”

• Kelcie McCrae & Katherine Whitt, A&T Register