Woman’s best kept secret: pH

(ARA) – Growing up, the topic of pH came up in chemistry class and on shampoo commercials, but few women know about pH in vaginal health – and it’s more important than you think.

“Gynecologists have long been aware of the importance of maintaining a normal pH. In healthy pre-menopausal women, vaginal pH is typically 3.5 to 4.5,” says Dr. Lauren Streicher, assistant clinical professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Northwestern University’s medical school. “But vaginal pH can become elevated as a result of sex without a condom, hormone fluctuations, feminine products and especially menstruation.”

One of the most common pH triggers is menstruation. The pH of blood is 7.4, so during a woman’s period, the high pH of blood causes vaginal pH to increase beyond the normal range. Tampons retain the fluids that cause pH to increase.

But now there is a brand new tampon to the market: RepHresh(R) Brilliant(TM) pH Tampons are the first and only tampons clinically shown to reduce the usual vaginal pH increase that occurs during a woman’s period.

When tampons were first invented in 1929 by doctor Earle Haas, they were designed for leak protection, comfort and convenience, and they’ve had the same basic purpose ever since. Yes, tampons have evolved in little ways, like type of applicators. But when it comes to the added benefit of lowering the pH increase that occurs during menstruation, they’ve fallen short until now.

“RepHresh Brilliant pH Tampons are an excellent improvement to traditional tampons, and many of my patients will benefit from them,” Dr. Streicher adds.

After insertion, the pH tampon provides a rapid reduction of pH to within the normal range. Then, as the pH tampon absorbs more fluid, the pH-Reducing Micro-Ribbons’ flow-release technology provides additional support as the body needs it to maintain the pH reduction throughout the tampon usage period. To learn more about these new tampons visit www.RepHreshBrilliant.com.

Now that the secret is out, women can take steps to manage vaginal pH during their period. Now that’s Brilliant.

RepHresh Brilliant pH Tampons come from the makers of RepHresh(R). RepHresh Vaginal Gel is clinically shown to maintain healthy vaginal pH and eliminate odor for up to three full days. RepHresh Pro-B is a daily feminine probiotic supplement that balances yeast and bacteria to maintain feminine health. Visit www.RepHresh.com and www.Pro-B.com for more information.