Fantasy baseball for a new generation

As the sun creeps out over leafless trees and Jack Frost retreats to warm-weather hibernation, baseball fans anticipate the dawning of a new season. For the estimated 29.6 million fantasy sports players in the world, late February to October is high time for sorting through endless lines of statistics, sabermetrics, and other numbers that may or may not have any bearing as to what will actually transpire at the plate.

Dating back to the first rotisserie baseball league in 1980, new technology has continued to revolutionize the way we play fantasy baseball, ultimately simplifying the statistical tracking process. Just like baseball itself, today’s fantasy players have modern-day tools at their disposal to take their game to the next level. These three relatively recent innovations can enhance the fantasy baseball experience, bringing levels of competition and fulfillment never before thought possible:

1. 4G Internet – Every fantasy player will need Internet access in some capacity to manage his or her team, but with high-speed Internet coverage, on-the-go users can update their rosters and stay current on information as developments break.

There’s nothing more heartbreaking than watching a game and seeing a starter has been bumped up in the rotation, only to realize he’s currently riding fantasy pine. With 4G Internet access, you can quickly make the substitution whether you’re in the bleachers, at the bar up the street or watching from the comfort of your own home. Or, if you notice a set-up man is getting the save opportunity or a utility guy is in the starting lineup, you can read up on the situation and grab the player off the waiver wire before a league-mate has the chance to swoop in.

2. Phone apps – Both ESPN and Yahoo have smart phone applications for sale that offer a mobile adaptation of the fantasy baseball interface you would find on their standard league pages. Though not as fully functional as the computer version, these apps are effective in keeping you up to date on your score throughout the week, as well as transactions, messages and other league news. RotoWire, a free app, will also give you up to date fantasy-focused player information, alerting you to breaking injuries, trends and trades.

3. Twitter – Perhaps fantasy sports’ biggest limitation is a lack of contact between fantasy owners and their players. Countless prayers go unanswered in vain, as owners wish to themselves, “If he only knew how much tonight’s game means to me.”

Twitter is the closest platform to fantasy coaching. Why not let Brandon Phillips (@DatDudeBP) know you need a steal or a few more RBIs? Yes, it typically holds true that you are the only person who cares about your fantasy team, not to mention MLB players have much bigger fish to fry than the ups and downs of your season. Still, it couldn’t hurt to coach up your players from time to time, recognize overachievement or send words of wisdom during a slump. You may never get a spot in the dugout, but for fantasy owners with a Twitter account, all the advice, inspiration and motivation you can muster is only 140 characters away.