Items you must have in your car emergency kit

With today’s technology, it’s easy to forget about taking safety precautions when help is a phone call or the push of a button away. But when you’re on the road, technology can sometimes fail, or help could be hours away. That’s why it’s a good idea to keep your car stocked with an emergency kit.

You can find a pre-packaged emergency kit at car care stores, but it’s also an easy driving safety measure you can take care of on your own. If you decide to go the do-it-yourself route, you’ll want to make sure you include a few items. Most of these items can be picked up at your local hardware store or car parts retailer.

* Jumper cables. Sometimes getting your car started again is as simple as getting a jump. You also may be able to help someone else if you carry these in your car.

* Road flares. Simple to ignite, this will help other motorists know where you are so they don’t hit you if your car breaks down alongside the road. They also make it easy for the people helping you to find you when they arrive.

* Extra fluids. It’s always a good idea to keep extra oil, antifreeze and wiper fluid in your car in case you run out.

* Stuff to keep you warm. Always keep a blanket in your trunk, or more than one if you live in a colder part of the country. Extra hats and mittens aren’t a bad idea either.

* First aid kit. Stock it with bandages, antibacterial cream, pain relievers or any other medication that you might need.

* Tools. Screwdrivers, pliers or pocket knife could all come in handy if you need to do a quick fix yourself.

* Spare tire. Make sure your spare is fully inflated and you have the tools to change a tire if you need to.

* Emergency snacks. It’s not a bad idea to keep some energy bars and bottles of water in your trunk in case you have to wait a while for help to arrive.

While you’re stocking your emergency kit, double check to make sure you have other items you should always have in the car like current proof of auto insurance coverage and vehicle registration. In addition to being a leading provider of car insurance, Allstate also offers more travel tips at Allstate.com.

Courtesy of ARAcontent