Hitting the road for spring break? Tips to keep safe and sound

The road trip is a rite of passage for college students all over the country. When it’s time to unwind, nothing beats a week somewhere far away from the dorm or apartment – not to mention books, tests and term papers. And with spring break coming soon, it’s time to start planning.

While determining a destination for spring break vacations is always fun, making sure you and your car are ready for what lies ahead is the best way to ensure your trip doesn’t stall out before it starts.

Simple maintenance should top your road trip checklist. Make sure your car’s oil and other necessary fluids have been checked and topped off wherever needed. Also, check to see that the tires are inflated properly and rotated. It may not seem like a big deal, but correct tire inflation can affect the safety of the vehicle, improve gas mileage, and keep your car performing well.

Safety on the road doesn’t just start with the car. It may seem obvious, but make sure your passengers are all wearing seatbelts, and that the car isn’t too overcrowded. Whoever rides up front with the driver should stay awake to help the driver do the same. Also, don’t let anyone become fatigued by driving too long a stretch on the road.

Once you get to your destination, there are several ways to make sure you have a safe spring break.

* If you go to the ATM, make sure you have friends nearby with you and try to go when it’s light out. Going at night in an unfamiliar location can open the door to a possible robbery.

* If your hotel has a safe, be sure to use it for valuables. Many affordable hotels for college students can also be a target for thieves looking for easy marks.

* Look through the peephole before answering the door. Don’t open it for a stranger. If someone claims to be staff, call the front desk for verification.

* Do not climb on balconies or sit on balcony rails. A fall from one or more stories can cause serious injuries, or even be fatal.

* Never leave with someone you just met. Attend large parties with friends and make a plan ahead of time that all friends will leave together. Don’t leave anyone behind.

* And finally, use sunscreen. Whether you are going to colder climates to ski or warmer weather to lounge on the beach or by the pool, make sure you take sunscreen with you and make sure you apply it often. Even if it’s cloudy, you can still get a nasty sunburn.

Follow these spring break travel tips and your vacation will be one you’ll remember for years to come.