Permanent birth control options expand for women finished having children

(ARA) – When women think about birth control, the pill or a condom are likely the first things that come to mind. However, these contraception choices are only as effective if the woman remembers to use them.

Many women – especially those for whom childbearing is complete – want a reliable option that they do not have to remember daily. In fact, a recent report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that permanent female contraception is the leading method of birth control among women 30 to 44 years of age and is used by more than half of women age 40 to 44 years.

Daily birth control can be a burden for many women. The average woman faces many years between giving birth to her last child and beginning menopause. That’s a long time to utilize temporary birth control such as pills, condoms, patches or shots containing hormones. If this sounds like you, permanent contraception may be a good choice, and the good news is that the available options have expanded in the past few years. If it has been at least three months since you gave birth to your last child, and if you are certain your family is complete, you may want to discuss your options with your doctor.

Here are some questions you should ask yourself and consider with your family and your doctor to determine if permanent contraception is right for you:

* Do you want to have children? If you already have a family, do you plan to have more children? When you think about this question, be sure to do so at a stress-free time in your life. Making a decision during a time of stress such as after a divorce, breakup, miscarriage or any traumatic experience can impact your decision-making process.

* Do you have concerns about hormones in traditional birth control or wonder about how other medicines might affect your daily birth control? Choosing a permanent birth control like Adiana (R) Permanent Contraception (www.Adiana.com) means no more altering of your body’s chemicals because it uses no hormones or drugs that can disrupt your menstrual cycle or affect your natural body chemistry. If you have other health issues such as migraines or if you are at increased risk for stroke, talk to your doctor as hormone-free birth control may be the best option for you. In addition, certain medications such as antibiotics can interfere with the effectiveness of your birth control. If you are prescribed antibiotics on a regular basis, talk with your doctor about back-up birth control or about permanent contraception as an option.

* Does the thought of surgery send you running in the other direction? Can you get your significant other anywhere close to a doctor? If you answer “yes” to the first and “no” to the second, you should discuss options with your doctor. Many women think that the only choices for permanent contraception are to have their “tubes tied” through a tubal ligation or to send their partner for a vasectomy, both of which are invasive procedures. However, there is another option for women called Adiana Permanent Contraception. It’s a small silicone insert – about the size of a grain of rice – that is placed into your fallopian tubes. The safe, simple procedure can be done in the comfort of the doctor’s office and usually takes less than 15 minutes.

The choices surrounding your reproductive health are major ones, so it’s important to talk to your doctor about available options. Permanent birth control can make life a little bit simpler for women who know they are finished with childbearing and want to avoid the added costs and risks associated with hormonal pills or injections.