Feds join investigatation of teen’s shooting death

Following a day of protests calling for the arrest of a Florida neighborhood watch captain who fatally shot an unarmed black teen, the U.S. Justice Department announced late Monday it will investigate the case.

ORLANDO, Fla. — Following a day of protests calling for the arrest of a Florida neighborhood watch captain who fatally shot an unarmed black teen, the U.S. Justice Department announced late Monday it will investigate the case.

George Zimmerman, 28, claims he shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin last month in self-defense during a confrontation in a gated community in Sanford, Fla.

Police have described Zimmerman as white; his family says he is Hispanic and not racist.

Zimmerman spotted Martin as he was patrolling his neighborhood on a rainy evening last month and called 911 to report a suspicious person. Against the advice of the 911 dispatcher, Zimmerman then followed Martin, who was walking home from a convenience store with a bag of Skittles in his pocket.

The Justice Department said in a statement late Monday that the FBI and the U.S. Attorney’s Office will join in the agency’s investigation.

“The department will conduct a thorough and independent review of all the evidence and take appropriate action at the conclusion of the investigation,” the agency said.

The case has garnered national attention. Civil rights activist Al Sharpton is expected to join Sanford city leaders in a Tuesday evening town hall meeting to discuss with residents how the investigation is being handled.

The Justice Department said its community relations service also will be in Sanford this week to meet with authorities, community officials and civil rights leaders “to address tension in the community.”

Earlier Monday, students held rallies on the campus of Florida A&M University in Tallahassee and outside the Seminole County Criminal Justice Center, where prosecutors are reviewing the case to determine if charges should be filed.

• Mike Schneider, Associated Press