‘Safe House’ is a safe bet

Denzel Washington’s newest film “Safe House” is now playing in theaters and we hope that you are ready for the action packed thriller

The action thriller “Safe House” holds up to its tag line “No One Is Safe.” Its fast paced action and over the top car chases will have you wondering whether you are actually watching a Jason Bourne movie or a James Bond Film. Though both films are good this one is nothing like we have seen before.

Matt Weston (Ryan Reynolds) plays the role of a low-level secret agent who must protect Tobin Frost (Denzel Washington), a dangerous rouge agent the CIA wants caught.

Frost has been remanded to a “Safe House,” but an attack from unknown brutal militants force he and Weston on the run and ponder who wants them dead and why.

Denzel reminds us once again why he is the best in the business of professional acting with a performance sure to leave audiences begging for more. Of course this is not the first time we have seen Denzel in the bad guy role as he also played the part in “Training Day.”

There are very few actors who can display both sides of good and evil. Denzel does this in a believable way, creating a kind of paranoia as to what side he is really on.

The Ryan Reynolds we have seen in movies such as “The Proposal” and “Just Friends” does not exist here; Reynolds has a serious, attention grabbing performance without the use of his usual smart attitude routine along with his slapstick comedy.

Certain scenes throughout the movie will leave you guessing who can be trusted while others will keep you focused on the heart and soul of both characters.

The one downside that I have is its use of the “shaky camera technique” to draw in more action than necessary.

There are also scenes you miss if you look away too fast while others will leave you questioning how the action started in the first place. Overall the movie delivers as an action spy thriller with a few twists but nothing that drags the story from its goal to entertain the audience.

“Safe House” is a grade A action thriller that gives the fans of both actors nothing short of a grand performance.

Grade- A+

• Malik Canty, Contributor