Moving out of your apartment? Tips to help you plan

If you will soon be moving out of your apartment into another apartment or a house you’ve purchased, it’s time to plan your move.

You have to keep track of numerous details, ranging from budgeting to signing the move-out paperwork. Start a notebook of all the information you will need to gather and estimate a budget for your moving expenses. Here is a checklist of items you may need to keep track of as you move:

* Research moving companies or moving storage containers if you need assistance in transporting your property. Look up the utility, phone, Internet and garbage companies that will be servicing your new house. Ask for recommendations of companies from friends, coworkers and neighbors and make sure you add the costs for hiring and setting up these services into your moving budget.

* Connect with your health care facility and your children’s schools about the process for transferring records if you are leaving the area or even moving out of state. Also make a list of all the services at your current location that you will need to cancel. Running through the previous month’s bills can help you keep track of all the different companies you will need to notify. Notify your bank and credit card companies about your upcoming change of address.

* Review your lease agreement to determine what special cleaning or repairs you may need to accomplish prior to moving out. If you painted walls during your tenure, determine if they need to be repainted back to a neutral color. No matter what, make sure you clean your apartment from floor to ceiling, and don’t forget those difficult to remember spots behind the refrigerator or under the stovetop. Walk through the apartment and make sure you’re leaving nothing behind – and take the trash out to the garbage as you lock the door and all windows behind you.

* Contact your landlord to determine what paperwork needs to be filled out prior to your departure, and make sure your landlord has your forwarding address so he can return your security deposit – if appropriate. Also make sure you register your change of address with the U.S. Postal Service so mail is forwarded to your new residence.

During the days preceding your move, make sure you update and review the notes on your checklist so you don’t miss any to-dos. And once you’re moved in, have fun discovering the unique characteristics of your new home.