RZA adds acting to resume’

RZA, member of the legendary hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan, is starring in the new film, “Repo Men” with Jude Law and Forrest Whitaker. He also starred in “American Gangster” with Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe.

The Grammy award-winning music producer, author, and rapper is adding to a blossoming movie career. He has made cameo appearances in “Funny People” starring Adam Sandler and “Gospel Hill” starring Angela Bassett.

RZA has also been considered for association in Quentin Tarantino’s next Kill Bill project.

RZA will be making his director debut, “Man with the Iron Fist.”

Q: How was your experience working with such great actors like Forrest Whitaker, Russell Crowe, and Denzel Washington, who are all Oscar winners?

A: It was a blessing to work with such an elite group of people. Some actors don’t get a chance to work with such great talent. I can say that I am pretty lucky to have been cast with such great people.

Q: What have you been able to take away from your acting experience and what have you been able to learn from these great actors?

A: Each time I do a movie, I learn something because I was really committed to it. I wasn’t shy about asking questions if people had the time to give an answer. Sometimes some of these actors are in zone and don’t want to be bothered. Fortunately, I had some down time with some of the actors so I asked questions and I learned a lot.

Q: How is it to go from the legendary hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan to having a blossoming movie career, which some rappers try to do but really succeed at it?

A: I am still at the beginning of my acting career so I still have a lot to prove. I am taking it real serious and not taking it for granted. I don’t go into it thinking that I am going to get a job because I have a name and I am not taking what I did in the past to get ready for the future. For the love of the craft, it always makes sense to commit to a job. I’m a person who sticks to commitment; I have had jobs that have been both humbling and lucrative, but regardless each job has helped me one way or another financial, morally, spiritually, and to help me to increase my craft. I’m willing to learn everyday.

Q: How did it feel to be nominated for a Screen Actors Guild award with the cast from “American Gangster”?

A: That was a great ego boost. I’m new at acting so being nominated for an award that early on. I felt truly honored to be sitting there at SAG awards with Cuba Gooding Jr., Ruby Dee, and Denzel Washington. Even though we didn’t win, I feel like I won something and I hope that one day I will be blessed with an award or my own.

Q:  What did you take away from your experience with this movie “Repo Men”, that comes out on Friday?

A: For me, the movie is current with all of the health care issues at the time. Some people cannot afford medicine or have to choose between house and family or people in this movie make operation and these choices. For instance, the guy has to make payments on his heart, but when he cannot pay the bill, the “repo men” come and take it. I never want to be in that situation where I lose everything so I do everything I can to avoid that situation.

• laporsha lowry