What you need to think about when considering a career change

(ARA) – In this time of economic uncertainty, people of all ages are considering career changes. According to Kiplinger.com, an online magazine dedicated to business and finance, people are forced into exploring other career options because of layoffs. Others seek a new direction as they experience declining satisfaction with a job they once found exciting. Still others simply opt out of high-stress positions.

The U.S. Department of Labor keeps employment records as the population moves from job to job; however, the data does not reflect individual career shifts. Employment statistics reported online by the government’s Bureau of Labor Statistics show that people change jobs an average of 10 times between the ages of 18 and 38. For those at a career crossroad, several veterans of changing careers offer insight into their experience, and helpful considerations.

As a Career Service Advisor at Brown Mackie College – Findlay, Ohio, Suzanne Crouch counsels students seeking professional direction. Her clientele includes not only high school graduates embarking on their first professional endeavors, but also older members of the work force who are returning to school to develop the skills, knowledge and professionalism to launch a new career or prepare for growth opportunities in their current profession. Before moving into education, she worked in the criminal justice system, helping victims of crime. “It was a big switch,” she says. “I was helping others in criminal justice, but not in the ways I wanted. Now I’m now helping others become successful, and it’s very rewarding.”

Another professional at Brown Mackie College – Findlay has orchestrated several career changes. Mitch Howard, an instructor in the legal studies department, practiced law for 10 years before leaving the field and opening a restaurant. “I was happy with the first switch from law to flipping burgers,” he says, “but after a few years, it was time for a change.”

Howard’s subsequent voluntary career changes included fundraising for a nonprofit organization, selling commercial real estate and managing a chain of car care facilities. He taught as an adjunct professor at several colleges and universities consistently throughout his career, and eventually realized that teaching gave him more fulfillment than his other endeavors. These two professionals who have made successful switches to different careers offer advice to help others do the same.

Adopt a positive attitude.

Crouch encounters many students who initially focus on their downfalls instead of the skills they offer. “A positive mindset helps to focus on what is important. Especially if someone gets laid off,” Crouch says. “In the face of rising competition, some think no one wants to hire them. But, many layoffs happen because of downsizing, not because the person wasn’t capable of doing the job.”

Focus on your interests.

Crouch and Howard advise people to look beyond a layoff and know exactly what they have to offer. Take stock of your likes and dislikes, and the skills you have that can be beneficial to an employer. “I encourage people to match their employment skills with their passion,” Howard says. “If you don’t find satisfaction in your career, it becomes difficult to go to work every day.”

Take stock of your current skills.

Many people take for granted certain skills that can strengthen a resume. “Organization is a fundamental business skill that is useful to employers,” Crouch says. “Multi-tasking is another skill that can be emphasized on a resume. Some people just can’t do it.” Computer skills are also important, and should be included on your resume. If you have dealt with the public in any previous job, assess your people skills and consider how they can apply to the specific job you’re seeking.

Consider additional training.

“When the economy goes down, education goes up,” says Crouch. Education bolsters skills, and boosts morale and confidence. Educational opportunities range from degree programs to certification training to single classes that can help to hone specific skills. It is helpful to research projected industry growth and match those with the industries in your area. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics posts an annual Occupational Outlook Handbook online at www.bls.gov that contains this information. It also offers advice specifically for those considering career changes.

Courtesy of ARAcontent