A&T sends BGMM off to NYC

On Sunday, the Blue and Gold Marching Machine had its Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade send-off celebration.

A&T student and faculty along with members of the Greensboro community came out to show their love and support for the marching band as they head to New York.

As the band entered Corbett Sports Center, the crowd gave them a standing ovation as the grooved to the sounds of the Cold Steel drumline. The cheerleaders amped up the crowd from center court along with the help from Aggie Livewire members in the stands.

“It’s a great opportunity for them” said Nakita Watson, a sophomore Aggie Livewire member.

“You are the number one band in the world. You take North Carolina and the City of Greensboro with you,” said city councilman Jim Kee as he gave the band congratulations.

The band also received money donations in amounts of $500 and $200,000.

More than 280 aggie students will be walking in the 2.3-mile parade route on Thanksgiving Day. They leave early Wednesday morning for the 10 hour drive to Manhattan.

When asked what the band will play Band Director Dr. Kenneth Ruff said, “We want to stay true to HBCU’s.” “Nationwide the Blue and Gold Marching Machine are known for their charisma and performance. Their “love for music” is how they were chosen for the parade,” said Ruff.

Gov. Bev Perdue and North Carolina democratic member of the General Assembly in the N.C. 58th district Alma Adams, sent the band safe travels and blessings from God as they travel to the Big Apple.

While the rest of A&T will be celebrating Thanksgiving, the Blue and Gold members will be representing the school in front of the nation on TV. Although they will be far from their families on the holiday to Shannon Stith, an alto saxophone player, “the band is like my family.”

After the parade the band will eat together at the Chart House restaurant in New Jersey. Also on the itinerary will be visits to the Rockefeller Center, the Museum of Natural History and Harlem. The band will watch the Rockettes perform on the largest stage in the world in Radio City Music Hall and see a Broadway production of “The Lion King.”

“Let there be no doubt that we are the best band in this country,” said Dr. Ruff.

Live coverage of the 86th Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade will begin at 9am on Thursday on NBC. Check your local listings.

• Ziris Savage, Contributor