Election day ends in victories and run-offs

Eager Aggies rallied at the student union Monday to campaign and vote, after the Student Government Association elections were postponed from its original date on March 28th.

The elections were pushed back after a concern arose that the online election ballot could have been tampered with.

“We want to make sure everything is secure,” said Shakira Redd, chair of the election committee.

Previously, students were asked their banner I.D. number in addition to their birth date to cast their vote on the online election ballot. That raised a concern because certain students on campus have access to that information and could use it to falsify the vote.

The new measure required students to enter a unique pin code to vote.

As expected, the physical turnout for voting in Stallings Ballroom was not as big as previous years due to the option for the student body to vote online. This alternative made it more convenient for students who have jobs and other priorities, giving them an opportunity to cast their vote.

“Students will be able to vote today for run-off elections from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. in Exhibit Hall. The election process is online and students are given a password sent to their email,” said Redd.

Each candidate running for a 2012-2013 position, along with friends who were assisting with campaigning, posted his or her materials on tables at the rear of the union.

“Becoming SGA President has been a goal of mine since before arriving at A&T. I believe that no other student would fight and care for the university like I would,” said Allahquan Tate, an architecture engineering major.

However, after all the chanting, free food and block parties, the run-offs to determine the official positions of Miss A&T, Miss Sophomore and Editor-In-Chief of The A&T Register will be held today.

“I want to win the position of Miss A&T because I know I would bring a positive change that others did not know was needed. Being the female representative of our university would be a honor,” said Catherine Hamlin, journalism and mass communication major.

Students who did gather at the union to vote enjoyed the election festivities as they assembled around along the steps. “Voting is an important aspect of being an Aggie, students say they want change but some don’t take the time to do so,” said Jasmine Rucker, a nursing major with a minor in psychology.

Kyla Boykin, a sophomore, exercised her right to vote and said, “I voted for Michele Delgado and Reginald Johnson for Miss & Mr. A&T because I felt as though they are more genuine about the campaign and this is not a popularity contest for them.”

The run-off elections are for today from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

The Results

SGA President: Allahquan Tate

Vice President for Internal Affairs: Canisha Cierra Turner

Vice President for External Affairs: Ryan Marcus

SGA Secretary: Patrick Malichi

SGA Treasurer: Desiree Simmons

Miss North Carolina A&T

(Run-Off):

Catherine Hamlin and Michele Delgado

Mr. North Carolina A&T: Reginald Johnson

Senior Class President: Alisha Fairfax

Miss Senior: Stanita Thomas

Miss Junior: Tiffany Carson

Mr. Junior: Jonte Douglas

Sophomore Class President: Jawari Boyd

Sophomore Class Vice President: Ambrose Wallace

Miss Sophomore

(Run-Off):

Amber Woodard, Madison Gibbs and Kamaria Ellerbe

Mr. Sophomore: Dorian Davis

Sophomore Class Treasure: Asha Brown

District #1:

Khalyn Jones

District #2:

Tevin Milton, Peter Akinleye, Danielle Peterson, and Randolph Brown

District #3:

Isiah Guinyard, Melanie Thompson, and Taya Gaskins-Scott

District #4:

Allison Townes and James Haynes

Editor-In-Chief

(Run-Off):

Jonathan Erik Veal and Karmen Robinson

• Latisha Freeman, Contributor