Celebs and scandals are stories Americans are craving

(ARA) – Americans split their attention in 2010 between the antics of their favorite celebrities and sports heroes with news-making events like the BP oil spill and corporate recalls. Sites like Bing.com saw a shake-up in search rankings with a rash of new names or brands that cracked the top 10 in various categories for the first time. Here’s a look at how the pop culture landscape shifted based on the votes people cast with their clicks.

In the top searched topic category, reality star Kim Kardashian leaped to the top spot this year, cracking the top 10 for the first time. Oscar winner for her role in the “The Blind Side,” Sandra Bullock followed Kardashian and also is a top 10 newbie this year. These two celebrities beat out last year’s top-searched Michael Jackson and Twitter.

The football flick didn’t only score big for Sandra. Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle Michael Oher, whose life story inspired the Oscar-nominated movie, made the top 10 of “who’s who” in football according to people’s searches. But being an inspiration isn’t the only thing that will raise your search rankings. His late 2009 situation may be behind him, but pro-golfer Tiger Woods became the top searched athlete of 2010, with NFL quarterback Brett Favre and NBA player Tony Parker by his side. Last year, none of these athletes breached the top 10 overall list. This year, all three made major headlines.

Significant media coverage for public mistakes put corporate titans at the top of the list of most searched companies in 2010. Having been plagued by the need to issue multiple recalls in the same year, two of America’s most trusted brands and products caught and held the interest of Americans over a period of several months in 2010, with Toyota being the No. 1 most searched corporation on Bing followed by BP and Tylenol taking the No. 2 and 3 spots, respectively.

On a lighter note, what tweens reigned this year? You may be surprised by the standings. Miley Cyrus had four times more searches than Selena Gomez. Meanwhile, Justin Bieber had nearly 20 times as many searches as “Whip My Hair” newcomer Willow Smith.

In the battle for most-searched entertainer, Lady Gaga (ranked No. 3) and Justin Bieber (ranked No. 4) both outpaced the King of Pop, Michael Jackson (ranked No. 7) and Miley Cyrus (ranked No. 10). Not surprisingly, actress and former singer Lindsay Lohan made the top 10 list this year, coming in at a solid No. 8. Aside from Michael Jackson, none of these musicians cracked the 2009 top five musicians list.

Next year will no doubt bring a new lineup of famous names and a reshuffling of who’s who. Whether you’re looking for information on the latest news, hottest celeb or tough decision, Bing.com has you covered.