No Vengeance Here

“Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence” stars Nicholas Cage as Johnny Blaze, a former stunt motorcyclist who sells his soul to the devil to save his father, who must protect a woman and her son from Satan to stop the coming of the Antichrist.

“Ghost Rider” is based on the 1972 issue of Marvel comics and like all comic books turned movies it had the potential to be as good a great film. Directors of “Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence” decided to go with a fresh idea, believing a reboot with a darker tone than its predecessor would allow movie goers to give it another chance.

Nicholas Cage is in Western Europe and wants to free himself from his curse of being the devils bounty hunter. Idris Elba comes to his aid, providing him with an offer to save a child in order to free his soul. The action begins immediately in this movie with its camera angles and explosions, but throughout the first half of the movie viewers are left without much action. Whenever it seems that the action and story will pick up both fail to deliver. The same applies with the 3D: it is good but one would expect more thrills using 3D than a guy on fire. If you had to see this movie in its regular version you would not be missing much.

In spite of the lackluster action, Idris Elba keeps this movie alive. His tenacity and strategic performance never fail. If you have ever seen “Takers” or watched the television show “The Office” then you know this man can not only deliver a comedic performance but hold his own when it comes to being serious as well.

Nicholas Cage on the other hand gives an over-the-top performance, which will have you guessing whether you came to laugh or see him be Ghost Rider.

Overall, as a Comic book fan I would say that this movie was a grade C+. If you are not familiar with the story or did not like the first one then do not waste your time unless you want a good laugh.

• Malik Canty,Contributor