All-star cast, ‘Movie 43’ still comes up short

With forty-four of Hollywood’s well known actors and actresses, twelve directors, seventeen writers and an hour and forty-five minutes of zero laughs, “Movie 43” is far from great comedy.

“Movie 43” begins with a struggling movie writer, Charlie (Dennis Quaid), who approaches a Hollywood movie studio director, Griffin (Greg Kinnear), in hopes of pitching a few of his bizarre movie ideas to help him “better his life.”

Their initial meeting sets off the collection of one-joke short films strung together to make up “Movie 43.”

Within these film ideas, we are dragged into a universe of strange, gross, and inappropriate tales.

One short film is “The Catch,” starring Beth (Kate Winslet) and Davis (Hugh Jackman).

Beth goes on a blind date with a suave millionaire bachelor, Davis, only to discover a procedure he had in his youth moved his testicles to his neck area.

Another short film, “Homeschooled,” features parents of a home schooled teenager (Liev Schreiber and Naomi Watts) attempting to recreate the traumas of high school for their son (Alex Cranmer).

Viewers that are easily offended by incest, sexual molestation, or child and animal abuse should avoid watching “Movie 43.”

The audience is instantly bombarded with offensive, cruel and downright disgusting jokes within the first ten minutes.

“Movie 43” is said to have a plot resembling that of “Kentucky Fried Movie” from 1970, another gross out comedy.

I give “Movie 43” a solid F. There was nothing great about the movie except the long list of A-listers who agreed to partake in such trash.

Maybe if the story line was a bit more solid instead of all over the place, viewers would better understand the so-called “jokes.”

“Movie 43” will make a great Friday night movie rental in about a month.

-Email The Register at [email protected] and follow on Twitter @TheATRegister

• Amanda Rhonda, Contributor