Board appoints provost

During a closed session vote on Friday’s Board of Trustees meeting, Chancellor Harold S. Martin, Sr., along with the Board of Trustees, voted to hire named Dr. Linda Thompson Adams as Provost and Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs, extend head men’s basketball coach Jerry L. Eaves contract, both effective Jul. 1, and appoint Dr. J. Charles Waldrup as General Counsel, effective Feb. 22.

In three separate press releases, Martin discussed his reasoning for each of his decisions, and highlighted the qualifications of all three.

Martin appointed a search committee in July of 2009 to lead a national search for thisCabinet level position. “North Carolina A&T is fortunate to attract a creative and scholarly professional with a proven track record like Dr. Linda Thompson Adams,” he said.

“She has over 20 years of leadership in university administration, teaching, nursing, plus public service appointments by a mayor and a governor.  N.C. A&T will certainly utilize her exceptional higher education expertise and public policy, grants, scholarships and fundraising skills during tough budgetary times.”

A national search was also conducted to fulfill the general counsel position, and Waldrup stood out in this search amongst the rest.

Since August, he has spent several days a week as N.C. A&T’s interim General Counsel and served the remaining three days as associate vice president for legal affairs for The University of North Carolina General Administration.

During his part-time role as General Counsel at A&T, he worked on a wide range of issues such as personnel matters, benefits, contracts, policies, public records, litigation, ethics and interactions with governmental entities.

“Dr. Waldrup has a breadth of legal expertise, experiences, and responsibilities in higher education and public health,” Martin said. “His background assures the keen decision making, focus on details, and wise counsel needed in this critical role.”

Eaves has served as the head men’s basketball coach for the past 7 years. Eaves took over a one-win program with only four returning players and two scholarship players and turned it into a team consistently contending among the top teams in the MEAC. The Aggies also beat DePaul University under his leadership.

“My expectations for coaches emphasize both athletics and academics so I am pleased with how Coach Eaves has affected our young men’s performance on the court and in the classroom.  He has graduated 20 out of 30 players, two are currently enrolled, and two are playing professionally overseas. In addition, he has brought in $2,089,500 to the Athletics Department by playing guarantee games over the past six years. “

• Dexter Mullins