Mary, Mary gets a bigger venue

After hearing that tickets to the homecoming gospel show

featuring duo Mary, Mary were sold out on Sept. 10, many students

around campus were angered.

After hearing that tickets to the homecoming gospel show featuring duo Mary, Mary were sold out on Sept. 10, many students around campus were angered.

“I’m mad the gospel concert is sold out,” tweeted senior business major Jasmine Farrar when she first heard that the tickets were gone.

The concert was initially scheduled for Harrison Auditorium which seats 908 people according to the campus website.

After many students claimed to have been unable to buy their ticket for numerous reasons, and from that they let their displeasure be known.

According to Chris Wade, vice-president of external affairs and co-chair of the homecoming committee, many upset students spoke out about not being able to get ticket. From that, many of them sent emails to him and Kawanna Foster, president of SUAB, requesting a bigger venue for the concert.

“With the gospel concert selling out so early, students stood up and had their voices heard to force administration and other parties involved to move to a bigger venue,” said Wade.  SUAB eventually secured and has moved the concert to Corbett.” 

He added that this action is a testament of the power of the student voice and he encourages students to buy more tickets to fill up Corbett.

Lyceum series co-chair and promoter, Greg Horton, feels that it was a good time to have Mary Mary come to campus but has concerns as to whether the concert will still be impactful because of the venue change.

“Harrison is better for concerts,” said Horton. “With the show now being in Corbett, my main concern will be can we hear them and will they be comfortable in that space.”

According to Wade, there are still plenty of Tickets for the gospel concert. They can be purchased at the ticket office, located in Brown Hall.

• Erik Veal, Online Editor