Don’t be ‘that’ parent when dropping your kids off at school

Right up there with rush hour traffic, dropping your child off at school can rank as one of the more stressful driving experiences. And you’ve probably seen parents who don’t handle the stress of it very well. You can take steps to ensure you aren’t the parent that everyone else complains about.

Following general safe driving practices is even more important when children are involved. Here are a few other pointers related to both auto safety and etiquette to keep in mind when dropping off or picking up your children from school:

* Follow the rules. Safe transportation of your children is a priority for schools so many will have procedures set up and directions posted. It’s your responsibility to make sure these are followed to ensure safety.

* Don’t let the morning hustle get in the way of good safety. Even if it might take a little longer, be sure to use all car safety features, including seatbelts and car seats, properly. Make sure your children are clear of the car and fully visible before you take off.

* Don’t dawdle. While you shouldn’t let the rush get in the way of safety, once you’re at the school, be quick with goodbyes so you aren’t holding up cars behind you.

* Always follow the directions of any school officials or officers at the school. They are there for your safety.

* Always yield to pedestrians. Even if they are in your way or holding you up, they have the right of way.

* Let your behavior be an example to your children. Getting angry, cursing or honking your horn will both set a bad example and escalate the stress level of everyone in the parking lot.

* If you always find yourself in a hurry when you get to the school, it is worth the sacrifice of getting up a little earlier to make sure you have a safe and pleasant drop-off. On the same token, be on time to pick your children up. It’s not fair to your child or the staff members in charge of supervising them if you are late.