Love ‘Doc’ makes a visit

In observance of Valentine’s Day, SUAB presented David Coleman, who is known worldwide as the Love Doctor.

Coleman has previously been honored 13 times as “The National Speaker of the Year”. He offers open services and advice in surrounding the topics of dating, relationships, romance, sex, marriage and leadership. In addition to the 200 shows he attends each year, Coleman has approximately 15 clients he counsels year-round.

The Doctor began the discussion by introducing the ABC’s of Love; attract, believe chemistry and desire. As the student audience became enthusiastic while engaging in the conversation, Coleman also discussed the three types of love; eros, philia and agape. He vibrantly explained how eros love is based more off of physical attraction and passion between two people. Philia love is based on friendship and agape is the highest form of love or unconditional love.

While engaging with students, Coleman ensures that one-hour spent with an individual can determine if that person is a good match for you.

“If time seems to fly by while you are with a person of interest then you two might have a good chance at a relationship but if you can’t stop looking at your watch, there’s a problem”, said the Love Doctor.

Everyone has that special “HMM” that they notice around campus but can’t seem to find the courage to approach them. “HMM” is a term distinguished by Coleman that refers to someone who stops you in your tracks and illustrates how to be a penguin; it’s not about your appearance but your attitude.

Coleman uses lively PowerPoint slides to coach the audience into recognizing how to know if someone is interested. For example, a girl could tell if a guy was interested if he is not discouraged by her barriers, if he can’t use player tactics, if he turns into “moosh brain” and if he deviously mentions how lucky her boyfriend is.

In comparison, as explained by the Love Doctor, a guy could tell if a girl was interested if she makes eye contact, if she breaks the touch barrier and if she tests the future.

When Coleman carries on the discussion by asking the audience who they believe controls a relationship, they quickly reply that women are in control. However, Coleman rebuttals and informs that the person who is more invested and who cares the most has the least control. He relates this to his Puppy Theory as he displays a photo of a dog sitting on a cats head.

“They only treat you with disrespect because you allow it. When someone shows you their true colors, believe them!” said Coleman.

Majority of people who are in long distance relationships can agree that they are horrific. Coleman explains how 50 percent of long distance relationships fail within the first year mainly because of forced communication, absence, jealousy, and the individuals in these relationships grow apart and become good at being away from one another.

Although all the information being presented by Coleman was well received, the audience became eager as the topic of the “friend zone” was introduced. He clarifies that you cannot be just friends with an individual if you are physically attracted to them, if you are romantically interested and if you get jealous by what they say or do. Coleman explains that you will remain in the friend zone because you give a person all you yourself for free. He also ensures that friends with privileges do not work because one person in that relationship will not be able to separate the physical and emotional attractions.

To close his speech Coleman allowed the audience to ask him questions regarding trust issues, commitment, choosing between two guys and how to get over an EX boyfriend/girlfriend.

“As I engaged in this program, I learned that relationships are not as hard as they seem. I would definitely attend something like this again and plan to educate my friends about it,” said Shawn Waddell, a sophomore and architectural and civil engineering major.

Coleman enlightened the audience by letting them know that he continues to do shows as such and sacrifices being away from his family because he believes in every individual and is certain that what the students take away will leave them wanting more from life than meritocracy.

Follow the Love Doctor @d8ngdoctor

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter@ATRegister

• Latisha Freeman, Register Reporter