Spring 2012 probates have change of venue

A crowd of N.C. A&T students, family members and friends gathered in front of Holland Bowl Tuesday to welcome new members to the Greek world. The new initiates were from Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, Inc., Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Inc.

Probate season will continue over the next two days with coming out shows from additional members of the National Pan-Hellenic Council as well as the Greek Life Council.

This is the first time in years that the probate show has been held outdoors. Previously, probates were held in Corbett Sports Center.

“Probates being outside goes back to being traditional and very historical,” said Tres Savage, a senior finance major from California. “I think it gives students a chance to see it in a different light, to see how it used to be done and to not be so crammed up in the gym.”

Greek members however did not seem to like the new lay out.

“I don’t like probates being outside,” said D’yana Mack, an animal science major from Raleigh, and member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. “I would rather be inside because I have really bad allergies and they should have a side for Greek seating.”

Many A&T students did not seemed to appreciate the new arrangement. Nevertheless they felt the energy was as high as it would be if the probates were to be relocated inside.

“I prefer probates inside, it’s more comfortable,” said Nicole Reynolds, a senior business major from Winston-Salem. “I feel like more people could see it because the view was better when it was inside, but it’s still the same excitement. ”

Filled with tradition, the gentleman of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, Inc. kicked off the event welcoming three new members to their organization. This is a group that promotes the advancement of music.

Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. came out paying homage to the Florida slain teen Trayvon Martin by wearing black hoodies as the teen did.

According to Harold Baldwin II, a sophomore and member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., the new initiates made him “proud.”

Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. welcomed ten new members into their brotherhood.

The day’s probates ended with a presentation from Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc. who welcomed five new members.

The Probates will resume today at 5 p.m.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Liliane Long, Register Reporter