Students get a chance to meet and greet SGA hopefuls

It was an evening of cheer, good food, and interesting ideas as the candidates vying to become the next members of the Student Government Association (SGA) gathered in Exhibit for the Meet-the-Candidates night on Mar 14.

After introductions from Denise Iverson-Payne, the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Development, individuals were able to see the personalities behind the fliers and learn of positions on issues such as campus unity and overall student involvement.

“It’s an incredible opportunity for candidates to mingle with students in order to showcase their platforms and what they hope to accomplish in the upcoming year,” said Michael Griffin a senior economics major from High Point and current chief of staff for the executive board.

The meet and greet was the first held in the history of student government elections on N.C. A&T’s campus.

Among those in attendance were current SGA executive board members and candidates Reginald Johnson, Catherine Hamlet, Rhyan Marcus, Darrell Anderson, Michele Delgado, Cheri Farrior, Sascha Gibson,Tiffany Carson, Jonte Douglas, Desiree Simmons, Dorian Davis, Timothy Exum, Devonta Woods, Jawari Boyd, and Allahquan Tate.

The event not only gave students the opportunity to meet the candidates, but it also allowed them to share what they, as students, would like to see from their governing body.

“I want to see SGA reach out to us more,” said Rachel Bivens a sophomore a supply chain management major from Charlotte. “

That opposed to us coming to them, I want to see them be more active about trying to get the general student body involved.”

Candidate for senior class president Sasha Gibson seemed to agree.

“The same spirit that we have trying to get people to vote for us is the same we should keep through out the year in getting individuals involved,” said Gibson. “It’s all about following through.”

The candidates, many of whom have previous experience on their class executive boards, hope that previous experiences will help them, if elected, run their desired positions.

Individuals can vote for the candidates of their choice on Mar. 28 in Exhibit hall and online.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Liliane Long, Contributor