Students party for the ‘bowl’

On Feb. 5, the Student Union Advisory Board held a party in

Stallings Ballroom to celebrate and witness the 46th Super Bowl

Championship of the National Football League between the New

England Patriots and the New York Giants. The Super Bowl was held

in Indianapolis at the Lucas Oil Stadium.

On Feb. 5, the Student Union Advisory Board held a party in Stallings Ballroom to celebrate and witness the 46th Super Bowl Championship of the National Football League between the New England Patriots and the New York Giants. The Super Bowl was held in Indianapolis at the Lucas Oil Stadium.

“We did this because we know a lot of students like football, they like to watch it,” said senior Bryan Keller, business management major from Greensboro, NC and vice president of SUAB. “We know the café closes early so there aren’t many other places to watch it outside the dorm room. On campus, we can give them a place to watch the game, have some snacks, and fellowship.”

The party offered two projector screens to watch the game, as well as food and drinks. Super Bowl XLVI was the second meeting of the Patriots and the Giants in which the Giants took home the Vince Lombardi trophy after a 21-17 victory over the Patriots. The ir first meeting was in 2008 at Super Bowl XVII where the Patriots took their first Super Bowl defeat against the Giants trailing 14-17 at the end of the game. Eli Manning, Giants quarterback, was named the Super Bowl’s Most Valuable Player Award during both meetings against the Patriots. The Giants have won the Super Bowl four out of their five appearances and the Patriots have won the Super Bowl three out of their seven appearances.

While Stallings Ballroom was less than half occupied, one could still feel the excitement between fans of both teams. Students also seemed pleased by the halftime show in which pop icon Madonna, performed. Accompanying Madonna in her performance were celebrities’ Nicki Minaj, M.I.A., and Cee-Lo Green.

“I expected more of a turnout. It’s kind of quiet for a Super Bowl Party,” said Brittany Luster, senior Animal Science major from Baltimore. “The student body is not as live as it was back when I was an underclassman.” Nichole Florence, Assistant Director for Programs and SUAB Advisor said, “It was a great program. I’m glad we were able to host and get students out of their rooms to enjoy the Super Bowl.” Super Bowl XLVII will be played at Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans on Feb. 3, 2013.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Kamilah Blackston,Contributor