Women are going back to school, but not in the classroom

(ARA) – While many parents already take an active role in their children’s education, today more and more moms are going back to school themselves, particularly in the tight economy. The U.S. Census Bureau recently reported that women were on track to surpass men in earning advanced degrees. And they are increasingly doing so online, at a significantly lesser cost than the average brick-and-mortar institution.

More than 4.6 million students took at least one online course this past year. Online degree programs are helping working mothers gain an edge in their careers, while allowing stay-at-home moms to expand their knowledge and experience to prepare for returning to work, all on their own schedule.

A good case in point is Rebecca Roch, a single mother of three, who put her education and career on hold to care for her children. In 2007, she was awarded service-connected disability while serving in the Army National Guard. The award was a blessing in disguise.

“I was given the opportunity to continue my education, something I thought I would never be able to do,” Roch says.

Roch enrolled at American Military University, an online university that is part of the accredited American Public University System, to pursue a master’s degree in business administration with a concentration in security management. Her ultimate goal was to secure a position with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to give back to those who had helped her so much, and to better financially support her family.

The online format fit Roch’s life in so many ways. While working as an employment counselor she found time to study during her lunch hour. She snuck in study time when her children were doing their homework in the evening, on family vacations and even at Cub Scout meetings.

She formed tight bonds with her online classmates who were based all over the world.

“I loved that aspect. I didn’t feel like I would miss out on information like you would in a traditional classroom, where you would have to raise your hand and wait your turn. It was just an open exchange of ideas and information,” she says.

Roch recently graduated with her master’s degree and has secured her dream job with Veterans Affairs. She is the first in her family to earn a master’s degree.

“I absolutely loved it. And I have been able to give my children more goals to strive for and more dreams to dream,” Roch says.

Accredited online institutions like American Public University System, comprised of American Public University and American Military University, offer the same, high-quality curriculums and rigor of a traditional brick-and-mortar university, and many are expanding their educational offerings, with bachelor’s and advanced degrees in liberal arts, business and information technology. The affordability of online programs, at $750 per undergraduate course and $900 per graduate course, ensures students can advance their education without breaking the bank. More women like Roch are turning online to obtain their degrees because of the flexibility and affordability they provide, allowing them to better juggle family and work life while pursuing their career goals.

Courtesy of ARAcontent