History Club returns to campus after two-year absence

After a brief hiatus, the history club has returned to A&T’s campus.

“Poor student leadership and failure to communicate to the administration” led to the collapse of the club during 2010-2011 school year said Kamal Bell, junior animal science major from Durham and current History Club president.

Fueled with a passion to raise awareness of black consciousness on campus, History Club members are ready to stimulate black thought among A&T students and throughout the greater Greensboro community.

The  History Club is, “designed to fill a void at A&T which is the lack of open discussions about black culture,” said English department lecturer Bryon D. Turman who designed and teaches A&T’s hip hop courses. He continued to explain that the club was once a driving force on campus as,  “[The History Club] started in the 90s when we were trying to get mandatory black studies at A&T.”

Bell said the club was initially erected to stimulate the thinking of African American students on issues facing the community.

“[The History Club] aims to uplift African-Americans mentally, physically, and spiritually so that we may progress and improve our situation as a people,” Bell said.

As president, Bell intends to lead the club in a direction where it can become as prominent on A&T’s campus as it once was. Now the club’s focus is rebuilding its foundation with a committed group of members.

He added, “It’s great to know there are still individuals who [will] strive to fight for social and political change for the African American community.”

Open to all Aggies, the club serves as a forum for students to partake in intellectual conversations regarding African American history as well as the political and socioeconomic state of black America.

Bell mentioned discussions are the most important aspect of the history club as they allow people to express their ideas and educate one another.

The History Club also aims to give back to the Greensboro community by working with the Beloved Community Center. Bernell Stallings, History Club treasurer and senior management and economics major from Newport News, Va., hopes the club will eventually expand to incorporate mentoring youth.   

The club further plans to bring various speakers as it did in past years such as, “all the speakers who have visited the history club before and want to see it prosper to grow and become as prominent as it used to be on campus,” said Stallings.

In previous years, the club has hosted panel discussions featuring candidates running for city council. Because those elections impact A&T, the history club wanted to present students with an opportunity to ask candidates questions about their political platforms and stances on various issues.

Stallings explained that the club’s ultimate goal is to reach the masses of A&T’s student population as well as the greater Greensboro community. He continued to explain the history club is a good way for students to learn about what is going on in the world outside of A&T’s campus.

With a goal of reaching the masses, the club wants to work with other campus organizations to broaden its platform.

Bell acknowledges the importance of having a dedicated executive board and membership in order for the club to thrive. He thanks his executive board and committed club members who he says, “still keep the history club alive.”

The history club meets every Wednesday in Marteena Hall at 7 p.m. in room 220. The history club plans to host its first a movie night of the to screen “Hidden Colors” on April 17.

—Email us at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter

@TheATRegister

• Justine riddick Copy Desk Chief