Freshman and junior classes face off in fall election run-offs

Here we go again! This week both the freshman class and the junior class faced Fall Run-Off Elections.

Candidates had to suit up for yet another week of war.

They eagerly reached out to their classmates, asking once again, to vote in their favor proving they truly were the best for the job.

The freshman class had steep competition but the only two remaining categories were freshman class President and Freshman Class Queen.

Running for President were Batrice Ramsey and Austin Ogletree. Ramsey sparked the interest of her fellow classmates with her warming personality. Camera Dixon, a freshman voter, stated, “her intelligence sparked her attention.”

Ramsey made sure her fellow classmates noticed her by staying true to herself.

She became vulnerable to her entire class and allowed others to feel comfortable and proud to be able to vote for her.

Ramsey felt she could be the one to make a difference here at A&T by uniting the Class of 2016.

As for freshman class queen, Brianna Boatswain was the only candidate on the ballot, and questions swarmed as to why.

The other candidate chose to promote her campaign on Instagram; therefore, she was disqualified. Nathan Kemp, the 2012-2013 Elections Committee Chair, stated, “At the moment, students are only allowed to advertise on Facebook and Twitter because in order to keep the integrity and the sacredness of the elections, we must be able to monitor candidate activities.”

This brought up a stir amongst the freshman class as to why this ridiculous rule was in place. Kemp also said “We are in the process of reviewing the protocol.”

If candidates read the manual and follow it they will not be disqualified.

Although the main focus of the Fall Run-Off Elections was the freshman class, many upperclassmen were also battling for the title as an Executive Board Member within their class.

One upperclassman seeking an officer position with the Junior Class was Tabatha Moore.

Moore was in competition with two opponents during the general election, but the Run-Off Elections came down to her and LaRhonda Copeland.

Using the slogan “Stand T.A.L.L,” Moore sought to win her peers votes by encouraging them to be “trustworthy, achieving, loyal, and legit.”

She also campaigned how she wanted to rebuild the relationship between her fellow classmates and how it was also now time for the Class of 2014 to live up to their reputation of excellence.

Moore used dorm storming, Twitter campaigns, and networking through Facebook to gain the voter support she needed during the general elections.

She took the time to have one-on-one interactions with her peers to show them she was very sincere about the elections and that she genuinely cared about what her class needed and wanted from an Executive Board member.

Moore also described how although the general elections were stressful and tiring, it brought an opportunity for her to meet new friends and to build new relationships within her class.

Using the same strategies she did during general elections, Moore approached the Run-Off Elections with new gained knowledge, experience and a little more confidence.

Moore, however, did state, “the Run-Off Elections was way more stressful than the first elections, because we had to wait an additional day to find out what the results were.” No matter how great the stress was, Moore did not buckle under pressure and she came out with the victory as the 2012-2013 Junior Class Vice-President. Moore was more than elated when she found out the final results and she was relieved that all, “the dorm storming, networking, and advertising truly paid off.” She also expressed that she was “honored to have experienced such an opportunity to go places and do things that she normally would not have done before.”

Through new relationships Moore built with her peers while campaigning, she plans to work diligently with her fellow Executive Board members to provide many programs for the Class of 2014. Moore has a vision for her class and she knows that with hard work and persistence, her class will be able to build stronger relationships with each other and to continue the tradition of excellence within the university.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter at: @ATRegister

• Taylor Young & Courtney Young, Contributors